What=a good Marrage/relationship?

Old Hippie

My advice to keep on being married would be not to throw everything away when a crisis is due . I think it is probably the main reason why so many marriages fail early . there are also men who should not marry ion the first place because their view on women is heavily disturbed , a good example as far as I can judge would be Old Hippie , no insult intended , clinical observation .

BuBi

Married 36 years , no expiry date in sight .

Good Points Julian I couldn't agree more.

For me and my wife there is another factor that also works in our favour, though it may not work for all couples. The old Adage "Absence makes the Heart Grow Fonder" is applicable to us since during the week for 4 nights I am not at home due to work commitments outside of Bangkok.

Since the wife works full time anyway she is out of the apartment all day and as I am not there during the week after work she will go and see relatives, meet old Uni friends for dinner etc, we just have the unwritten rule that weekends are for us.

It works to my advantage also, 4 nights a week I get to meet up with my friends, or of the workload is heavy there are no complaints about me being in the office late or bringing work home.

Maybe it is because I have worked / lived the expat life for so long that I find this an agreeable situation, compared to 4 months on 2 weeks off in the Middle East midweek away and weekends / holidays together is a vast improvement, we would probably drive each other mad if I was to be home every night.

Some very interesting stuff here to mull over......

One thing I am hoping for is when she hits the UK is that she develops her own social and work life (she IS going to work :grin: ) seperate to me, although not neccesarily tottaly exclusive - so her world does not have to 100% revolve around me.......it would also be nice if we could develop some outsude mutual interests apart from stuff that revolves around living in the same house.

Of course how this will actually pan out in practice will be interesting......... :smirk:

Good luck David, all the best for the future. I would imagine it's easier to live with a Thai girl in Thailand than in Farangistan.

Just remember that in some things she's a woman first and a Thai second, in others Thai first and a woman second.

Don't ask me which things, she still surprises me regularly. You work it out.

My advice to keep on being married would be not to throw everything away when a crisis is due . I think it is probably the main reason why so many marriages fail early . there are also men who should not marry ion the first place because their view on women is heavily disturbed , a good example as far as I can judge would be Old Hippie , no insult intended , clinical observation .

BuBi

Married 36 years , no expiry date in sight .

You've been married 36 years? and you are buying some bar girl a house? and you say I shouldn't be married? Yikes...well, o.k. you got me there... :) buy still, yikes! Since trust and honesty are so important, have you told your wife about all the whoring?

Good luck David, all the best for the future. I would imagine it's easier to live with a Thai girl in Thailand than in Farangistan.

Just remember that in some things she's a woman first and a Thai second, in others Thai first and a woman second.

Don't ask me which things, she still surprises me regularly. You work it out.

Cheers for the best wishes. and the original post :cool:

"Don't ask me which things, she still surprises me regularly. You work it out." This is something I am expecting (more of), to be honest if I knew all the answers I probably wouldn't be doing it - too boring and no fun.

One of the things that I am rather hoping for is once she is safely ensconced over here in "Farangistan" :) that (over time) I may actually discover how close my thoughts and understanding has been over the last couple of years. or not :shocked: :grin:

(I have noticed a degree of "Dave Management" going on, but nothing I would call serious - I put it down to her having never really got the hang of female manipulation. or subtlety :grin: . let alone having passed BG 101. Gawd bless her. :)

I really liked your list of what is needed in a successful relationship. I think the "freedom from drama" issue is a big one, and something that causes problems for Westerners in relationships with Thai women.

I was just about to post the same thing. Life is full of difficult things, family and friends dying, accidents, bad bosses, etc. No need for drama over unimportant issues.

Archived