Do punters still go to Patpong?

Abe

On New Years Eve the sky train is open all night long. Exception was this last one was called off due to the bombs, however I did get a taxi with meter even that night. After rising above newbie status and learning that one should always get the meter on, I can't recall ever having any real problems anytime, anywhere. Sure there's been an occasion here or there where a taxi either didn't want to go where I was going or quoted a price, but waving the next taxi is not a big deal. Bangkok is a buyers market and taxi's are everywhere. Patpong, like other prime spots in Bangkok and the airport has unscrupulous drivers who own the prime turf and probably make a killing doing it. The good thing is it's just as easy to walk by them if you are in the know.

I still don't see why people are making the patpong taxi situation seem so complicated. There are no shortages of taxi's buzzing patpong. Silom road is just about a wall of empty taxis. You don't need to find a special area or anything. And come on bibbs, walking across the street is not a big deal. It's like saying avoid a night cap at Sheba because it's a long walk to get back off soi cowboy ;)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When going home I just walk down Silom toward the river. A block or two along, there are police who collect 10 baht from the taxi drivers who want to pick up tourists (without using their meters). Beyong the police barricades it is easy to get a taxi happy to use meter when you tell him to kindly do so in Thai.

Neo,

Have you ever gotten a taxi from Patpong (recently)?

You will have a very hard time to get a taxi on Silom Road in the evening - heading towards Rama 4 Road. As everyone mentioned, you need to cross Silom at any point and then pick up a taxi heading towards the river.

Suriwongse Road use to be better, but now it is just as bad.

Reading this post led me to go to Patpong the other day for a early quiet beer with a mate. Before I met him I was met by a massage tout in Patpong 2 who just wouldn't leave me alone. I kept politely declining. Then I reach PP1 and some old hag come running across the street "happy hour, my bar have happy hour, 80 Baht". I politely decline and she responds with "dol lair" from her screwed up angry face. Not sure of the spelling but I believe it is quite impolite.

Every time I go there I get hastled way too much for my liking. I will go back but only for the pizza and good service at Madrid.

Every time I go there I get hastled way too much for my liking

Advice: never respond to a tout, not even a polite no thank you. That just stokes the fire. Once they get your attention they'll press their wares even more. Ignore them, keep walking as if you didn't hear them. It may seem rude, but in the end it will be better for both of you. They'll know you are not interested right away and see you are not an easy mark and move on, leaving you alone.

Neo - good advice indeed. I think I responded to them because they grabbed me which I really detest. Flower sellers, watch hawkers, hill tribers with their annoying wooden frogs and stupid smiles all can be dealt with relatively painlessly. But the a'holes in Patpong annoy the crap out of me.

Another great point in Patpong's favour, eh? The joy of having to walk 50-100 metres away from the exit and open 5 or 6 taxi doors before you can find a normal fare... :rolleyes:

Crossing Silom is probably about 25m and if you do you won't have to open 5 or 6 taxi doors to get one that uses its meter.

Anyway the exercise will do you good. Help you lose some of those excess pounds.

What about Cowboy. At the Asoke end the taxis also won't use their meters and you have to walk up Asoke some distance to get one.

Archived