GTG in Farangland

mainsail

You guys are the only ones who are going to understand this, so I put this out there for your sensitive feedback. Hah!

About a month ago I broke up with my Chinese GF of 4 years because I caught her in a big lie. I had not seen her in person for 3 months so I was ready to move on. So I go on Match.com so see what I can find. I don't know about where you live, but here there are hundreds of Asian women available on this site. I narrowed it down to about 65 likely candidates. I met a few that were not that interesting and then 2 weeks ago I met a Thai woman. Wow! She is beautiful, smart, kind, jai dee, no kids, divorced,speaks great English, has a green card, owns her own condo and car. Things are going quite well and tomorrow she is coming over to my house for 2 days.

So I find myself wondering if this is going to get serious? I have been divorced for 9 years and pretty well decided to never marry again. I have been going to Thailand since '95 and certainly got hooked on the punter life there as has everyone else.

The other side of me says wow, this is a really great woman and the kind that will not be single for long. (She gets about 75 emails a day from Match.com) I know I could not hold on to her without be serious and eventually getting married.

I am 51 and am actually feeling the desire to settle down (again). I do think with the right woman I could stop my straying ways. I have always been very attracted to Thai women so being with one could help to satisfy that desire and make me less likely to head back to the bars. This is not a woman I would want to cheat on. I think if I commit to this one it is for real.

How about you guys? I know some of you have married Thai woman and seem to have settled down. She and I have already talked about retiring to Thailand some day. I was planning on that anyway so that would be ok with me.

Have you been able to put the punter life away for good?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly possible, i did, you can...if you meet that certain someone...i prefer my monogamous existence to my previous 'playing the field' ways..i've found someone very special, that's it for me. I'm done. I've never been happier. I hope it continues until i can't remember who i am, which as someone younger than you, could be quite a while!

Good luck, take the risk, you've nothing to lose...let us know how it works out. Enjoy.

Haven't put the punter role down for good, but came close a few years ago.

BTW, sounds like your "date" is in your home country and doing well on her own...unless all her "stuff" came from a nice divorce settlement(s). She may not share your idea of returning to Thailand. I know a lot of Thais who are okay to go home to visit every few years, but have no intention of moving back. Thai women can become "Americanized" (or "otherized") rather quickly, so I've seen and heard. :)

HH

She owns a car and condo. How much debt is she carrying? :hmmm: Does she live within her means? Does she have alcohol or gambling problems? Is she a compulsive liar? Is she on the rebound? In a fight, does she go for the jugular?

Man, slow down and just enjoy getting to know her. You barely know this woman. I am sure Lizzy Borden and Lorena Bobbitt were fantastic the first 2 weeks. All you know now is the facade we all put up initially. It takes at least 6 months of being with that person before their true self is revealed. Making life changing decisions out of fear of

being alone or out of fear of losing this woman will end in tears.

Does she live within her means? Does she have alcohol or gambling problems? Is she a compulsive liar? Is she on the rebound? In a fight, does she go for the jugular?

Yes, these are all good points. The only debt she has is her condo. I agree about the 6 month thing or even longer. My only decision at this point is that if I am not serious about long-term and if I don't really want to give up the punter's life then I should not waste her time.

She barely drinks and is not interested in gambling, same as me. As far as lying we shall see. That was the biggest issue I had with my Chinese GF and seems to be a common trait among Asian women it seems. She is not on the rebound as she has been divorced a few years. As far as going for the jugular we'll see. I think she is pretty typical Thai as in jai dee most of the time until you push her over the edge. Then look out! I have yet to see that but I am sure I will.

I agree about taking it sloooww...

Archived