Advice regarding "GTG" - help!

longwoodguy74

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks nice, but yet again rip off central...Verve Cliquot for 8,500 Baht...WHAT!!!!!!!! You can buy that in the UK for around 2,000 Baht. Cristal for 28,000 Baht...double WHAT!!!! Sure that's a nice Champagne, but how much markup????? and i'm not going to even begin on the wines...all 300% markup on the better bottles.

Yet again a cynical ripping off

Oops, my bad fellas.

Let me instead give directions to the nearest somtam cart. It's near a 7-11, and you can get your pint of lager for 30 baht to wash down your romantic meal.

P.S. Given the tax on imported wine, and the markup that any restaurant will charge, only a fool would buy high-end wine off a restaurant's wine list. Ever hear of "corkage"?

this discussion shows very nicely that Face is so expensive that even farangs turn away when they see the prices (more expensive than in Europe). This gave them a big headache when they opened in Siam Paragon (and missed sales targets by several 100%) - no they try Rangsit, no farangs there.

I have to admit, if you want real Christstollen, Tiramisu or even just real chocolate (not like the Chinese-made copy of American "chocolate" that I just found in the fridge) this is the place to go.

But it may be cheaper just to fly to Europe and buy it there :)

Dude, you must just travel in different circles. I mean, I don't see B250 cocktails or ~B450 (average) mains as over-the-top prices for a high-end restaurant. :dunno: Nor do any of the guys with whom I hang out. Actually, seems fair pricing to us.

I do not go to places in this price range on an everyday basis, but certainly at least once a week... :dunno:

I eat at my neighborhood food stall, at ~B100, a couple of times a week too...

Cheers,

SD

Gotta agree with SD. At Face, I can get a VERY good dinner for 2 (drinks, dinner, dessert, and corkage) for well under $100US. Back here in the USA, A similar caliber of restaurant would run me $200 or so. So in my book the place is a relative bargain ... and it is still the 2nd best Indian restaurant I have ever been to. Not exactly 3rd world prices, but not a 3rd world restaurant either.

BTW SD, tried the Indian joint in the Rembrandt last trip, and was disappointed. Thought the food was pretty average, though the view was nice. Service was too good, borderline oppressive. The place was empty, so the wait staff hovered around us like mosquitoes. Had to call over the head waiter to get the rest of the gang to leave us in peace.

Looks nice, but yet again rip off central...Verve Cliquot for 8,500 Baht...WHAT!!!!!!!! You can buy that in the UK for around 2,000 Baht. Cristal for 28,000 Baht...double WHAT!!!! Sure that's a nice Champagne, but how much markup????? and i'm not going to even begin on the wines...all 300% markup on the better bottles.

Yet again a cynical ripping off

You are comparing apples & oranges. Thailand charges a 200% import duty on wine, so of course the prices, when you factor in the margins of the importer and the restaurant, are going to be sky high.

If you insist on ordering wine off the menu, good restaurants will sometimes offer decent offerings from Chile, and there are a couple of good Thai wines too that are reasonable. The Veuve Cliquot and the Crystal are for morons with way too much money, or for Japanese on expense accounts.

EVERY Thai restaurant I have been in charges a reasonable corkage fee. Bring a bottle with you next time.

Archived