700 baht barfines at Soi Cowboy

Neo

I think they are talking about 4-5 star hotels as those are the ones the "quality tourists" wanna stay. I don't see this gonna effect much the places the sex tourists stay.

Anyway is this just another case of Thai logic? Raise prices to lure in more customers :hmmm: . Vietnam is more expensive so people wanna go there? The quality tourists wanna spend their holidays in clean, interesting and beautiful places, Pattaya is far away from that. If they'd blow up all the brothels and clean the town and the beach from the carbage and improve infrastructure maybe that could help but raise prices? WTF

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the price increases on Cowboy are more a reflection of consolidation of ownership, and the market power that consolidation brings. Just like in NP, when two groups control >50% share, it is alot easier to collude on price increases for BF's and drinks. Customers may think they are voting with their feet when they leave, but they just go to the owners other place down the soi, and see the same prices. The bigger places can then offer better salaries and attract better looking girls, putting more pressure on the small players.

While this works in Cowboy or NP, it would not likely apply to Pattaya. Too many bars for any one or two groups to acquire a dominant market position.

The big splashy bars are usually the ones raising the prices in my experience. Higher costs lead to higher prices. At least this is my experience and opinion.

It is true that the big splashy bars are the ones with the higher prices, and they were packed last night. I was with three other friends, and in most of the bars we wanted to visit, it was simply impossible to find four seats together.

I saw several BGs I know from NEP in the the new and splashier bars. I couldn't even talk with them about their switch from NEP to Soi Cowboy because they were already preoccupied with (likely) better paying customers, but then that perhaps explains why they made the switch.

Simply because of the seating problems, we ended in one of the low end bars for a few drinks. More room because they had fewer customers. The BGs were also noticeably older and less attractive than the BGs in the new and msplashy bars. We went back to one of those new and splashy bars. Why waste a Friday on what is a dive in Soi Cowboy?

I heard plenty of American accents. I can tell; I think we are all most embarassed by our own.

The nightlife scene in Bangkok is evolving. New places are opening up. If customers like them, they will survive and perhaps thrive. If not, they will go the way of Soi zero.

Two of us took two newly acquainted TG 'friends' to the new disco on Soi 11, Twister. Mostly because we were curious. Serious security guys, valet attendants, mega sound system and decent cocktails (well, better than you would find on Soi Cowboy). But even at 1 am, the place was practically deserted.

I discovered that my TG loves to try different cocktails. It was a relatively expensive night, but I had blast and she did too, although I suspect she is suffering a bit this morning - one of the reasons I only do STs even when the BGs want, and this one, in a drunken and lustful state later that night, was insisting on a LT (I am sure if I stayed with another hour or so that state of mind would evolved into something less pleasant - but hey, it was sanook while I was with her.)

It is true that the big splashy bars are the ones with the higher prices, and they were packed last night. I was with three other friends, and in most of the bars we wanted to visit, it was simply impossible to find four seats together.

Trust me as someone who goes to the bars every night, night after night, for over 3 months solid (dedication :smirk: )... It's a whole different ballgame on Friday and Saturday night.

I don't know where the Friday and Saturday crowd come from but surely logic suggests that it isn't tourists (who can come any night), but people who live here and are time-poor. Lots of youngish confident prowlers suddenly abound.

Whatever the reason, it's usually a lot less fun for me at the weekends.

You should see the same bars - Angelwitch, Rainbow 4, Rainbow 1, Baccara - on Monday or Tuesday. They're customer deserts then. The girls complain.

Recently, when I've been hearing these complaints from Rainbow girls, I've been taking the opportunity to conduct a little campaign to convince them that the bars are quiet because all the customers gone to Soi Cowboy where it's more 'sanuk'. I'm hoping this way that I can see more quality tits again - either by moving the girls or by making Rainbow so concerned about a talent exodus that it actually starts to get off its lazy arse and DO something :mad: :thumbup:

Of course the Crown Group is pretty much as bad. I just can't work out how they even break even, their bars are so dismal. They just sit there, doing nothing, changing nothing, with few girls and fewer customers. Wtf? :thumbdown:

If I see a bar in Nana trying to do something different (like bend the showing rules), I always sit down and usually tell a mamasan why I decided to stay. If I see nothing of interest (like girls wearing the same old bikinis, not even trying to push the showing boundaries), I tell the door people exactly why I'm not staying. Who knows? If enough customers say it, the message might get through...

It's a whole different ballgame on Friday and Saturday night.

You are right. Because I am "time poor" (I like that expression), I tend to go out more and certainly stay out later on Fridays and Saturdays. (I also run into more ex-pats I know, which is not always a good thing). When I stay out late Sunday through Thursday, the bars are less crowded and although I have a good time that night, I always regret it the next day at work.

Last night (a Saturday night), the bar fine at Bacarra was 600 Baht. Soi Cowboy was certainly crowded. I didn't even bother with Nana.

Baccarat is 700? Are you sure? I haven't barfined from there for about 2 weeks but last time it was 600 + a mandatory 2 lady drinks (which of course effectively makes it 900B). 900B barfines are already in place. Don't tell me it's now 1000B! :shocked:

Not sure, but two guys told me they were quoted 700.

HH

Soi Cowboy was certainly crowded. I didn't even bother with Nana.

Yeah, relative to weeknights it was "crowded". Shark Bar opened up the upstairs for the first time I can remember in years. But compared to, say, 10-15 years ago, not crowded. Then, everynight was Saturday night. :thumbup:

HH

Archived