700 baht barfines at Soi Cowboy

Neo

Cent, not saying this applies to you because I know it does'nt but thats one of my pet hates when some people keep comparing Thai P4P prices with their western home country. It has no relevence to Thailand what so ever what you would have to pay in the US or Sweden or Germany or where ever. Or when people say its only $ X or Euro Y etc.

Simie.

Simie,

Exactly right. It is not a good comparison really. And the difference in price is rapidly becoming closer and closer due to this thinking by many coming here. "Hey, it's cheap here!" they say. No, it's not really any more. Someone in the thread (Bibblies? Moo Noi?) said that the cost of a ST is comparable to a quarter month's pay for the average Thai worker (8000 baht a month being a close monthly average income here for middle class workers), and he was right. If the average monthly income in, let's say, the US was 8000 dollars would and do the punters there expect to pay 2000 USD for a ST experience? I'd think not. That to me is a better comparison to look at this through.

Cent

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at it this way...50% of the people in the USA make $40K or less per year.

Let's say they average $20/hour (a little higher)

and a one hour romp with a lady costs $300.

You are paying the lady 15 times what you make for the one hour romp. These numbers are close to reality but YMMV.

So, LOS is "cheap"(er), then what you can get in the USA....but in the overall picture and the costs but a few years ago, it is getting (got?) expensive.

Was out at Soi Cowboy and noticed places have ratcheted up barfines another 100 baht as it looks like 700 baht is the going rate now. Drinks 140-120. Lady drinks usually 130. Suppose there are places you can get better prices, but those seem pretty typical for a bar crawl. Despite being the expat favorite, Soi Cowboy has been the most expensive gogo area and continues to lead the way on price hikes.

Which bars? I was there a few weeks ago, and there were 3 bars charging that all were more less empty. The 3 were De Javu, Midnight and SPice Girls...any others? I say boycot them. But no one will, and the more idiots go and throw money around, the more it will go up...

Look at it this way...50% of the people in the USA make $40K or less per year.

Let's say they average $20/hour (a little higher)

and a one hour romp with a lady costs $300.

You are paying the lady 15 times what you make for the one hour romp. These numbers are close to reality but YMMV.

So, LOS is "cheap"(er), then what you can get in the USA....but in the overall picture and the costs but a few years ago, it is getting (got?) expensive.

Cav,

Using your formula I calculated that the average 8000 baht a month Thai worker, working just 40 hours a week (many work 48 actually, but just for shits and giggles I set the average work week to 40 hours) make about 50 baht an hour. Which again works out to a ST payment of 2000 baht equaling one 40 hour week's pay. So that calculates out to one one hour ST gaining the sex provider 40 hours pay for one hour's work, 40 to 1, an even higher, much higher, ratio than the $20 an hour average western worker paying $300 for his western ST, at 15 to 1. It would mean the western worker would be paying $800 for his short time to be comparable to the BKK 40 to 1 ratio of 2000 baht.

$800 is steep, even for a so-called high class call girl for an hour's fun. Hell, for the average guy $300 is steep (and the prices I have seen in the west for this by Craig's List call girls is about $150 to $200 I believe, if memory serves)!

ST costs would be corrected to around 750-800 baht if using this calculation of 15 to 1 to compare with the western rates actually. About what it was for a long period of time here, 500 to 800 baht ST.

So why the rise in the ST rates? Basically because many clueless newbies, and cash flush punters who do not care what it costs (as it is 'cheaper' by far they feel than at home) are paying whatever is asked, and are the basic thing/reason I can see that causes/caused these numbers to rise, and many newbies and cash flush punters come here now due mainly to the rise of the internet giving them the info they needed to consider coming here.

So, blame the newbies and cash flush idjits, and definitely blame the internet! :D :smirk: :mad:

Cent

Cent - I'm still getting $1000 flights from the US East coast to Thailand.

If you want to compare percentage of income over a night of fun,

8000 baht a month is pretty much a minimum wage in BKK (I admit to having no clue on how much tax is paid on this, if any). 1500 baht for ST. (Sorry, if you pay 2000 you are getting ripped off flat out. You can over pay in any country, doesn't make it a good example).

1500/8000 = %18.75 of your monthly income.

Let's take an equivalent store worker from the US, let's say Walmart, where you make on average $8-10 an hour(which is fairly good for retail, and above the ~$5 minimum wage). We'll say 10 for easy math. That's ~1.7k a month before taxes(on a 260 work day year).

Asking price where I live is $400-500(but just like your 2k figure, we won't use those), where as the actual rate is ~300. 300/1700 (assuming you aren't paying any taxes at all in the US.. 55555) = %17.65 of your income. If we say you were paying a tax of 25% 300/1275 = 23.5% of your income!

As for your mention of craigslist. Those cheap prices you see are for 15/30 minute quickies. Ask for 1-2 hours and see how much you are really paying.

8000 baht a month is pretty much a minimum wage in BKK (I admit to having no clue on how much tax is paid on this, if any). 1500 baht for ST. (Sorry, if you pay 2000 you are getting ripped off flat out. You can over pay in any country, doesn't make it a good example).

Let's take an equivalent store worker from the US, let's say Walmart, where you make on average $8-10 an hour(which is fairly good for retail, and above the ~$5 minimum wage). We'll say 10 for easy math. That's ~1.7k a month before taxes(on a 260 work day year).

Asking price where I live is $400-500(but just like your 2k figure, we won't use those), where as the actual rate is ~300. 300/1700 (assuming you aren't paying any taxes at all in the US.. 55555) = %17.65 of your income. If we say you were paying a tax of 25% 300/1275 = 23.5% of your income!

As for your mention of craigslist. Those cheap prices you see are for 15/30 minute quickies. Ask for 1-2 hours and see how much you are really paying.

Weird,

I'm using the 'asking' price of 2000 merely for the sake of argument and calculation, and because I hear it quoted as the quotes many friends of mine who participate in the nightlife scene tell me they are being quoted, and many of the newbies and cash flush tourists are paying these prices quoted them. All just some fun showing the ratios and differences between what is paid in the west and what is asked and many times paid here. :)

Cent

Weird,

Thanks for the ANA and NWA tips. I use United usually, and at times go/fly at the worst times and pay the higher rate of high season and just fly when I want to. I have seen deals but never seem to have them fall into my time slot needed.

"According to "Social Security Online" the average wage in the USA for 2005 was $35,448.93."

I also thought this would give us some more info on average wages in the states. I think Walmart workers fall into the lowest end of the workforce/wages. I don't know many Walmart workers who can afford to come to Thailand for a week of debauchery and sun and fun, especially not more than once every year or two.

Also, you may think that 8,000 baht is low end wages in Thailand, but many Thais make that or a little more, maybe 10,000 baht a month. Teachers, policemen, etc. all average in that area mostly (not including after school classes that many teachers use to gain income, or the highway baht robbery many police use to supplement their incomes :) ) I do have a habit of asking my family how much certain members in these professions make monthly. It's usually around the 8 to 10 thousand baht range.

I'll see if I can find some info on Google as to what is claimed by the gov figures as the Thai average wage.

Cent

Archived