Identifying a proper brekkie

Coss

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moo - you never had coffee in Leichhardt? I notice no reply yet from Bust

Well yes.. I have.

But that coffee could be anywhere! Any city, any country!! You can get coffee like that in so many places. (Except Brisbane - :neener: )

Bust correct me if I am wrong, but the coffee looks like it was photographed in Leichardt, in winter perhaps.

Stanley Street East Sydney......Spring 2006.....Flat White no sugar......I had already eaten the little cinnamon bickie they give you.... :)

Whatever else is good or bad about a breakfast, the overall quality and acceptability rests with the sausages.

I like sausages to be juicy with a little spice but no gristle and well cooked until they burst, though not burned. I don't need cumberland or other outlandish recipies, just good old english breakfast sausages.

The bacon can come in many forms from streaky through to loin but perhaps middle bacon with a piece of each is the best solution. It should be fairly well cooked but still moist.

Eggs. Well, I have moved to poached eggs in the last decade due to some dodgy oil and overly oiled eggs in the past but I can accept fried eggs no problem. Poached are better but if you have good fat from the bacon then I defer to fried. Of course, still runny is a prerequisite.

Beans. Must be Heinz or a very close relation. Not over cooked.

Mushrooms. I would never have gone for mushrooms until the lasy few years but good mushrooms with a distinct flavour and well cooked add a lot to the proceedings.

Bread. Fried obviously with an egg on top. Also some toast. Bread itself should be farmhouse white cut into think pieces. Non of this 3mm thick rubbish.

Tomatoes - can take them or more often than not leave them.

Potatoes. Not a true breakfast ingredient but fried with the bacon al la bratkartoffeln, sauteed or a good quality has brown are well appreciated and add bulk as well as variety.

Pot of tea or coffee.

NB

Portions of bacon and sausages above all else must be fairly substancial. If at home, cook the whole packet of bacon and the whole packet of sausages. Good for sarnies or nibbles later if not immediately consumed.

Archived