North Pole could be ice-free this summer, scientists say

Bangkoktraveler

No one with even half a brain can doubt that global warming is happening. The question is how much mankind is responsible for it. The earth's climate does change in cycles. For example, it's known that the climate was warmer when the Vikings were exploring North America. It is thought the Greenland settlements were abandoned when the climate began to cool again. The seas apparently were much higher in the past too, since Nakhon Pathom is supposed to have been a sea port a thousand years ago.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Global warming is changing the ocean currents?

OH - There are at least 600 horrible, horrible things that are caused by global warming with more being discovered every day. One of the main reasons Al Gore invented the internet was so we could use it to keep track of all of the devastating consequences of global warming. Here is the current list.

Interesting research on rapid natural climate change....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080619142112.htm

This was obviously sometime before we were doing our 'thang'. Scary to see that natural shifts can occur incredibly quickly....

Btw, this is ice core date, previously ignored/dismissed by the anti-global warming movement...so I guess that means they can't refer to it....hypocrisy being an oh so unattractive trait.

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=21911

Is interesting. Whilst they do admit that temperatures have risen by 1 degree in the last century no-one really knows if its man-made and to what extent, whether its benign.

However one point was very succinct, the global warming brigade are cherry picking the scientific reports to create a hysteria whilst not taking the dodcuments in their entirety.

If the North Pole does become ice free' date=' this should be a concern to people, but for some, it doesn't matter.[/quote']

It should concern a lot of people...especially those living in low-lying areas.....I hope it signals the death knell for the anti-global warming lobby. What more obvious evidence do you need!

Ice melts when it gets warm....d'oh!

Not just them.. Changing ocean currents could affect the climate for an awful lot of people very dramatically.

COULD....yes, I COULD win the lottery tomorrow!

Changing ocean currents could also make alot of people better off...swings and roundabouts.

The data are clear. The worlds is becoming warmer and the sea levels are rising.

Currently only some islands in Micronesia are affected (some islanders had to leave their islands already), but give it some centimeters more and than have a look at Bangkok.

Some sientists fear that the Gulf Stream diverts its course. This would affect Europe and Latin America severely and would change all our lifes.

Also the climate change might lead to more extreme weather. Hurricane Katrina might just be an "warm up" for the US...

Currently the effects are not clear, but it is certain, that we all be affected. And it will not be fun.

Another interesting article..

http://www.quebecoislibre.org/001014-11.htm

I have heard that Gore has made 10's of millions of dollars talking/writing about global warming. He won't shut up as long as that kind of money is thrown at him. I sure as hell wouldn't.

HH

Again, this does not change the basic facts. But you doen't get it. Strange. :hmmm:

doing something is better than doing nothing!

i totally agree and i said so in my previous post.

but i bet there are more people around the World who do not do as we try to do.

hoodwinked?....the dairy companys have been advocating recycling for decades having us return our used bottle the day after using them.

i was in your part of the World last Week and i'm sorry to say(and i don't mean to offend you)that i found the area quite backwood in certain things.

i observed certain things and chatted to locals about what i had seen and they agreed with most of the comments i made.

you still have milkies coming around everyday and then picking up the empties the next Day??????.

i haven't seen a milkie for around 25 Years where i live and we had 2 of the biggest Companies in Hampshire within a 10 Minute walk from my house.

in the end not coat effective and the dairies closed.

local shop is cheaper and easier to get milk 24 Hours a Day.

thankfully i'm not a fan of milk and only use a dash in coffee and when i make scrambled egg.

The Right is having trouble coming to terms with this issue; it's easier to joke about it and belittle the scientists who predicted it than to explain why it's happening.

An ice free North Pole cannot be brushed off as the effect of an unusually warm year. We're not coming out of an Ice Age either, Europe was frozen over during the last one.

What it's about is not having to make Big Money clean up it's mess. They pump billions of tonnes of pollutants into the air every year because it's the cheapest way to get rid of them and they're not going to willing stop doing this.

So it's sneer and belittle and convince their supporters it's all a leftist plot to destroy their jobs.

I have heard that Gore has made 10's of millions of dollars talking/writing about global warming. He won't shut up as long as that kind of money is thrown at him. I sure as hell wouldn't.

HH

Again' date=' this does not change the basic facts. But you doen't get it. Strange. :hmmm: [/quote']

Perhaps you could enlighten us on the "facts"

Archived