North Pole could be ice-free this summer, scientists say

Bangkoktraveler

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What can I possibly say? I'm flabbergasted. Perplexed.

Read;

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1003_051003_arctic_ice.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7461707.stm

There's a nice slide show in this BBC article if words cause you difficulty.

More on the cold winter making no difference to the long-term perennial ice cover....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080318151743.htm

So, everyone seems to agree that the arctic ice is going...and as explained in one of the articles listed, it isn't due to any known phenomenon. So how can you question this? There's satellite pictures from 1980 onwards and records going back 100 years.

The only debate is whether this warming of the arctic is manmade or natural. So far no one has discovered anything 'natural' causing this rapid retreat of the arctic ice.

Please refrain from insults and before attacking me read what I have written. I have not said the artic ISN'T shrinking, I have stated all along that I am questioning the timescales these people use. To say in the last 50 years the artic is melting means nothing when you consider the age of the earth.

If you are so bleedin clever, tell me what the artic was like a million years ago, was it smaller, was it bigger? I dont know and to be honest you are the sort of leftie I have come to loathe...someone who believes what he is told by (in your words) the BBC which has a political agenda to remind us daily about so-called global warming.

I am not saying I am right but theres enough evidence out there from leading researchers and scientists to refute the hypothesis of the GW brigade.

You mention records from 100 years ago. Given the technology they had at their disposal at the time, are these really accurate ?

So lay off me and consider that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some are sheep, some are shepherds.

Just to add to your already overwhelming humiliation and embarrassment, a profile of the writer, Bret 'jewish neo-con' Stephens...now he's a really unbiased writer...LOL

http://www.rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/4778.html

Who is being embarrased ? I dont think its me.

If in 50 years time (as some claim) we are typing this 20 metres under water, I'd gladly accept I was wrong. If on the other hand we are still here and the doom-mongerers have subsided, I would expect a apology.

Just to add to your already overwhelming humiliation and embarrassment, a profile of the writer, Bret 'jewish neo-con' Stephens...now he's a really unbiased writer...LOL

Help me out here, Faust.

Are you saying there's something wrong with being 'jewish' (sic)?

And why are the quotation marks there, anyway?

Hilarious! Your ability to interpret the written word accurately is demonstrated once more....

He's part of the neo-con jewish mass, indicating what he thinks and how he thinks, as most of you suffer a herd mentality and don't deviate from the message, such a reference should inform a reader of all they need to know.

Doesn't a lot of scientific research usually have an agenda behind it? I mean someone has to fund it, and they want the funding to continue...

Regarding the research on Global warming...as I recall, the scientific community is sort of divided on this issue. Some say yes, it is bad news, and others say hold up, maybe not so bad...a lot of the research has been questioned, and the actual cause of it all is still largely in doubt but many credible scientists. Many of these scientists may have something to gain from being right, hence I question all of it.

There was a book called "and the band played on..." or something, about AIDS and HIV, and all the bullshit grandstanding that went on with trying to get research grants and notoriety/publicity etc...while the topic is different, I wonder how much of the same is going on here, with the scientific community all trying to get research grants etc...

I'm sure there are many unscrupulous scientists, just as there are many politicians, lawyers and doctors with vested interests and divided loyalties. Money/power does that to people it seems. I think caution needs to be exercised with global warming hyperbole, but ice not being where it was before is not something open to question. It's happening. It's real. It can be seen.

What is causing such warming of the poles is where the debate is. I've not put forward a definite support for manmade global warming, as I believe there are too many variables and questions left unanswered. I rely upon those scientists with integrity to find the causes and solutions. The jury is still out.

Archived