North Pole could be ice-free this summer, scientists say

Bangkoktraveler

If the North Pole does become ice free' date=' this should be a concern to people, but for some, it doesn't matter.[/quote']

It should concern a lot of people...especially those living in low-lying areas.....I hope it signals the death knell for the anti-global warming lobby. What more obvious evidence do you need!

Ice melts when it gets warm....d'oh!

Not just them.. Changing ocean currents could affect the climate for an awful lot of people very dramatically.

COULD....yes, I COULD win the lottery tomorrow!

Changing ocean currents could also make alot of people better off...swings and roundabouts.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL

The Daily Mail....

:rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

That's a bad thing to admit to LP. I first read the Daily Mail when I was 3 years old...i moved on to greater things, by about 4 years old.....It's well known for being a piece of shit rag. Really, even the Murdoch owned Times is better and I despise that paper!

Richard Littlejohn makes good sensible points though....maybe HE should run the government rather than that twat we have now :)

If the North Pole does become ice free' date=' this should be a concern to people, but for some, it doesn't matter.[/quote']

It should concern a lot of people...especially those living in low-lying areas.....I hope it signals the death knell for the anti-global warming lobby. What more obvious evidence do you need!

Not just them.. Changing ocean currents could affect the climate for an awful lot of people very dramatically.

Changing ocean currents could also make alot of people better off...swings and roundabouts.

The data are clear. The worlds is becoming warmer and the sea levels are rising.

Currently only some islands in Micronesia are affected (some islanders had to leave their islands already), but give it some centimeters more and than have a look at Bangkok.

Some sientists fear that the Gulf Stream diverts its course. This would affect Europe and Latin America severely and would change all our lifes.

Also the climate change might lead to more extreme weather. Hurricane Katrina might just be an "warm up" for the US...

Currently the effects are not clear, but it is certain, that we all be affected. And it will not be fun.

In centuries to come maybe, but in the meantime some places could become dramatically colder, and I mean whole regions of Western Europe for example, and others become desertified. Long term, people will adapt, but not without a lot of pain for generations before that.

Interesting research on rapid natural climate change....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080619142112.htm

This was obviously sometime before we were doing our 'thang'. Scary to see that natural shifts can occur incredibly quickly....

Btw, this is ice core date, previously ignored/dismissed by the anti-global warming movement...so I guess that means they can't refer to it....hypocrisy being an oh so unattractive trait.

The problem with the ecologist is not really a problem of the ecologist but with the Republicans, especially the Conservatives. When Republicans start calling ecologist commies, leftist, pinkos, etc., the Republicans have lost the argument and the ecologist don't listen to anything more the Republicans have to say.

If the Republicans have something to offer, instead of name calling, and if they can provide what they have to offer with sound logic, the ecologist probably would listen.

The tragedy of the whole global warming debate was the ease with which the big business sector used their media to turn it into another right vs left confrontation.

The problem with the ecologist is not really a problem of the ecologist but with the Republicans' date=' especially the Conservatives. When Republicans start calling ecologist commies, leftist, pinkos, etc., the Republicans have lost the argument and the ecologist don't listen to anything more the Republicans have to say.

If the Republicans have something to offer, instead of name calling, and if they can provide what they have to offer with sound logic, the ecologist probably would listen.

[/quote']

The tragedy of the whole global warming debate was the ease with which the big business sector used their media to turn it into another right vs left confrontation.

As I said before, this confrontation takes only place in the US. In all other countries the climate changes are undisputed (see Kyoto Protocol). But of course it is currently discussed how to act and it is not really clear how our earth will look in two decades or so.***

In Germany we had the discussion already starting in the 1970s which led to the foundation of the Green Party. Since two decades huge amounts of public money had been put into research of 'green' energy, waste management, 'green' production, e.g.. The result: Germany is one of the leading countries in this area and earns millions of Euros.

On the other hand GWB just blocked the installation of solar power plants for "environmental reasons" (very funny, since drilling for gas and oil is no problem the regions concerned)

The influence of the oil industry on the Goverment has delayed research and new developments for years and now the US has to pay for it. Especially the middle and lower class feel the pain since they drive the cheap low tech gas guzzling cars which are technically completely outdated.

***For example when the European glaciers are finally melted the Rhine river, which runs through the whole length of Germany, will fall dry in summer and this will change the German landscape and climate severely.

Archived