Jesse Helms Dies

Steve

My culinary education missed out on Mexican food I regret to say. Apart from the supermarket "taco packs" I never experienced it until moving to the Philippines where a mate and I would often sneak off for the weekend to Subic Bay with ladies not our wives or girlfriends.

There was a Mexican place in the main street and we never dined anywhere else. I thought the food was superb but I've since been informed that the closer to Mexico or SW USA you get the better the food gets.

I tried that place in Sukh Soi 11 (in the little side soi past Cheap Charlies) last year but wasn't overly impressed.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the waitresses dance on the tables, and keep you go "beep beep" on them?

:)

Once in a while Foodland has some canned Mexican food. You can buy flour tortillas there too. Not quite the same though. Old El Paso brand was great when I was a kid. Then Pet Milk bought it and toned it all down so they could sell it in places like Peoria and Des Moines.

There are regional major differences in Mexican food. What we know as Mexican food is really the peasant food of northern Mexico and the US Southwest. But there are differences even within that. In West Texas and New Mexico a tostado is simple a hunk of a corn tortilla fried crisp. You dip it into chile con queso or whatever. The first time I ordered tostados in Los Angeles, I got a whole corn tortilla with a salad dumped on top.

:dunno:

Ronald Reagan disagraced the USA with the Iran-Contra scandal and Richard Nixon also disgraced our country with the Watergate scandal.

Both men are reverend by the Conservatives for their outstanding 'contributions'. Another man that is reverend also by the Conservatives is GWB.

Frankly, I think Nixion is under rated for his accomplishments in China ans Russia. Many credit Reagan with ending the cold war, and or collapsing the Soviet Union.

Truth is, Nixon really set that up when he opened relations with them. The values, ideas and information that flowed in, set the stage for democracy and free(er) thinking. Like wise, I would think would happen with Cuba if we stopped playing this stupid game, which we appear to be losing.

Regan was just a show, when he got bitched off for Iran-Contra, he just folded. Truth is in History, in the long run, I think Nixon will be remembered more favorably than Regan.

You got a point about Nixon opening up China which should be carried now, over to Cuba. It is stupid how we relate to Cuba but we relate to Vietnam and China in a completely different manner.

It is better to find the things we have in common instead of alienating ourselves with others. Shit, we all are searching for the same thing. We want peace and quiet, that is why I say to the wife "give me a piece, and I will be quiet".

There are regional major differences in Mexican food.

True. The Mission District's contribution to Mexican food is fairly well recognized - the honkin' big burrito. When I first moved here about twenty-five years ago you could get a carne asada (grilled flank steak) burrito well appointed at Taqueria La Cumbre for $1.80. The thing was as big as your leg and was packed with meat. The bike messengers called them "UFLs" for "urban food logs". They are even better now though the price has gone way up. Still, if you need to eat and only have a few bucks, but you want something fresh and good, solid and tasty, it is hard to beat a proper Mission District burrito. Some say you can't get a decent burrito east of Reno. I buy mine west of Potrero Avenue just to be sure.

When I was a student, if you were broke you went to a dive called Rosie's Cantina. Fifty cents got you a stack of flour tortillas and a big bowl of refried beans.

Strangest thing I ever had in San Francisco was tuna tacos. I got them at a taco sale to benefit Cesar Chavez. I didn't know what was in them until I chomped down. Tasted all right though.

Tuna also works well with barbecue sauce. Tastes almost like barbecued pork.

:dunno:

West of Potrero, now you are talking...the really good places seem to be in South City, on Grand Ave. BTW, I am NOW officially withdrawing my praise/recommendation for Taqueria Cancun (Mission, before 19th, on the right heading to D.C.), went there tonight, boy has the place changed...choke full of gringos, and the food was lame...

Funny about the Mission, it WAS a crap neighborhood we were proud to call home way back when, now it has just changed...I used to like to go back, see people I knew, and it made feel humble to see where I came from, and where I was now etc...now I look, and it still makes me feel humble, I can't fucking afford to buy a place there either! Santo Christo have the yuppie fucks really fucked my city up...

Archived