Jesse Helms Dies

Steve

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Senor Pico at The Rembrandt hotel. It strikes me as funny to see Thais with their own bottles of tequila at the table, since we don't do it that way here. On the other hand, they do in Mexico...

I wonder what brand of tequila was Jesse Helms' favorite. :hmmm:

Taco Loco on Silom in the same shopping center as Subway does a reasonable imitation of Taco Bell. They donâ??t have Enchiritos, but the Tacos, both hard and soft, are very close

Seriously :topic:

I understand that a couple of American-born Thais who grew up in LA own that place.

And you are not the first who said that it was edible. I just have not gotten there yet. Not a high priority...

Cheers,

SD

Best Mexican restaurant EVER !

Glad to see we are back on topic here ...

Strong call. I'd put up El Sombrero up against it.

Evie's was pretty damn good too, but can't say if it's good now since I've not been there in years. I need to rectify that...

Cheers,

SD

PS -- Fuck Helms. Good Mexican grub is far more important that a dead, bigoted, uber-conservative, career politician who did more harm than good!

West of Potrero, now you are talking...the really good places seem to be in South City, on Grand Ave. BTW, I am NOW officially withdrawing my praise/recommendation for Taqueria Cancun (Mission, before 19th, on the right heading to D.C.), went there tonight, boy has the place changed...choke full of gringos, and the food was lame...

Taqueria Cancun was still good about ten years ago but for some reason the quality plummeted about that time. I haven't been back in a long, long time. For straight-up taqueria food (burritos and tacos) my favorite is La Taqueria. It costs a bit more than some, and the style is a bit different (no rice, whole beans only) but the meat quality is the best and the aguas frescas are top rate. I also occasionally go to El Toro, La Cumbre, or Pancho Villa.

The other day you mentioned Salvadoran food. Balompie Cafe is the place on Capp St. you mentioned (at 18th, actually). I go there some but my favorite is "the Zoc", El Zocalo. I've been going there over twenty years. Back around the late 1980s sometime they closed for a few months for remodeling. We were all panicked thinking they might change the food or atmosphere or something. Not to worry. When they finally reopened it was exactly the same as before (what had they done?) and it hasn't changed since.

Funny about the Mission, it WAS a crap neighborhood we were proud to call home way back when, now it has just changed...I used to like to go back, see people I knew, and it made feel humble to see where I came from, and where I was now etc...now I look, and it still makes me feel humble, I can't fucking afford to buy a place there either! Santo Christo have the yuppie fucks really fucked my city up...

I've lived in the same apartment since the 1980s, otherwise I wouldn't want to pay rent here. I looked to buy a house a few years back, but I didn't want to leave the neighborhood. Crappy little 1100 sq-ft homes with no upgrades in iffy locations were getting snapped up at $700K. I declined to get on that treadmill.

When I worked in SF 10 years ago, there was a place on Fremont, kinda of across from the 45 building, that made a huge burrito that was really good. Understand all that is gone nowâ?¦

I used to work on Fremont at Howard back in the late 1980s. There was a Pilipino restaurant along there that had lingerie shows at lunchtime! All of that area has been redeveloped and corporatized now. South of Market from about Fourth Street up is completely transformed. There's really almost nothing quirky or cool left in the entire area.

Ahhh, RY embracing foreign cultures...how very lovely. You accept the food but not the people, right?

Read your blurb on polarising. Very amusing and wrong. Conservatives tend to use absolutes. Nothing more polarising than that. You do it all the time with your amusing naive labeling. Funny as fuck.

Archived