Jesse Helms Dies

Steve

Same same Alabama.

SCV huh ... I was an active member once upon a time.

Wow me too! :smirk: hehehe

Georgia's didn't go on the flag till the Civil Rights era as well I think.

One of my best friends in college had a huge confederate flag in his dorm room. He said there were many progressive southerners like him who hated the klan and hate groups for converting a historical flag into a symbol of hate. Still gave me the heebees a little going to his dorm room but it put it a bit more perspective for me. He was simply a good old boy from LA (lower Alabama) as he says and he had ancestors who fought under the flag. It was just a matter of pride for him, not a symbol for hatred.

I obviously don't like the flag but as I said my libertarian ways says a state can put anything it wants on its own flag. Also, as I noted, there may be social and economic costs with loss of tourism dollars, boycotts, etc. but that's with any stance someone takes. It shouldn't be illegal though or the federal government making a law against it.

Wasn't there some native american symbol, I think a tribe in the southwestern U.S., New Mexico I think, (someone look it up, I'm not gonna stop this post to do it..lol) which coincidentally had a swastika lookalike thingy that was one of their symbols? Jewish groups claimed it was anti semitic I recall.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone tell me, the state that was last to abolish the law forbidding marriage between blacks and whites? specifically black men marrying white women? I seem to recall the law was officially abolished in the 90's. Might be wrong.

<< Wow me too! hehehe >>

I've met Black Sons of Confed Veterans members. People forget that there were Black Confeds. Many were slaves who went to war with the young men they'd grown up with, but there were free Black Confeds as well. Remember that abolishing slavery didn't become an issue until the middle of the war, when things weren't going well for the North.

There was an all Black battalion raised in Richmond in March '65. At least one company saw combat on the march that ended at Appomattox. Why did they enlist? They were promised freedom in return. Actually, they were covering their bets. If the North won, they'd be free. If the South won, they'd still be free. Ironically, the Confederate Congress authorised equal pay for black and white troops. The Black units in the North had to struggle to get equal pay.

When you start poking around in history, you uncover all sorts of things that sort of get ignored because they don't fit in with the majority view.

The swastika is an ancient symbol that also has roots in Buddhism. Usually the arms point in the opposite directions to the Nazi one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

My cute little hootch girl (= maid) at the base camp in Vietnam wore a gold swastika on a chain around her neck. I practically had to throw some butthead E-4 out of the hootch one day when he was going ballipstick because he spotted the swastika. The moron kept screaming ... "WHY IS SHE WEARING IT? WHY IS SHE WEARING IT?"

p.s. I did NOT recommend him for promotion. :)

I saw a building in BKK with the Swastika type thing on it. It is the building of the Kumun Tung (sp) Khaing Kai Sheck's (sp) Party. Apparently, they use the symbol as well.

I've seen Swastikas on the chests of Buddah figures in China and (I believe) Tibet. (I have photos of the China Buddahs, for the Tibetan ones I am relying on twenty-year-old memories.)

Actually, I read some place that Hitler took the Swastika from Buddhism/Hinduism because he felt it was a very powerful emblem. I believe he turned it the other way. I was told in Nepal, it represents the 4 elements of life and destruction, earth, wind, fire and rain. Any and all are needed for life, and any and all can destroy life.

Archived