U.S. Border Agents Can Now Detain Laptops For No Reason

FreeTime

Nothing to hide ..no problem with that at all ...

You see THATS the attitude that leads to our subservience to government. I have nothing to hide either but I'll be damned if a busybody penpusher can go through my personal data on a whim. That is not what democracy is all about!

When the UK government were introducing ID cards (which we have to pay for eventually) we were told that they would be used in the fight against terrorism and to cut benefit fraud etc. It was proposed that only the criminal class would need to fear it (in which case they will forge them anyhow). So if you have nothing to hide there'll be no problem at all. This is another subtle way of taking control

The comment that only those with something to hide will have something to fear, is nothing more than a thoughtless and foolish mantra repeated by those who prefer platitudes to the demands of careful and rational thinking

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CF, agreed.

The UK government wants to move to hold data on every phone call made, every text message sent, every email sent and every website visited by every person in the country.

Why?

The implication is, the government has you. You piss them off, they can look at everything you've done. Nice tool to silence dissenting voices.

This laptop news is bewildering. It's seemingly arbitrary. Under what circumstances can your laptop be detained? Because the security doesn't like you? He/she is having a bad day? How long is your computer held for? What happens to it? Do you get an apology or compensation?

All of these moves are very sinister.

I've got no problem with the national security forces intercepting information and data to scan for possible communications, but why do they have to hold information on everyone? There's no justification for it. 99% of people have nothing to hide and are simply communicating.

Finally, it is well known that terrorist cells are up to date on all these developments...does anyone really think they are stupid enough to communicate via phone/email with plans?

They've ALWAYS been allowed to seize anything at the border for NO reason. They have merely told us now. Before, they never said they were allowed to do it- they just did it. So the article points out.

Seriously!

My understanding is that persons entering the country have always been subject to search without warrant or probable cause. Is there really anything new here? If so I don't see what it is.

Does Yambi actually read these threads? I'm starting to think we're dealing with a Yambot that simply spits out key right-wing buzzwords, sort of an artificial intelligence. If I need an animal to parrot my words, I'll rent a yammering monkey, thanks.

BTW: I apologize for demeaning the value of intelligence by linking it to Yammers.

I think I hear the Yamommie calling her boy over in this thread

My understanding is that persons entering the country have always been subject to search without warrant or probable cause. Is there really anything new here? If so I don't see what it is.

The laws in regard to electronic devices are absolutely new and much more agressive than in any other Western/Industrial country.

Until now: a border agent goes through you belongings and asks some questions. No record of your personal items nor of the content was kept.

The new version: they can make of copy of *all* data from *any* electronic device you carry. And they can share the data with *any* US agency. Also they can confiscate any electronic device without a given reason and keep it for several months.

The result: they might receive and record information about your complete personal and business life (emails, bank data, contacts, images, e.g.) and they can give it to any US agency.

While being stopped and searched for hours at an airport is an uncomfortable delay, the new law is Orwell as its best.

Other points:

- The US already collects hundreds of data on every traveller (bank data, origin, connecting flights, food preferences [religion], e.g.).

- The US have a well documented history of industrial espionage. The CIA works closely with other US agencies to spy on European companies (and others of course) by monitoring electronic communication (Echelon). In the recent months the US has confiscated laptops with confidential/important business data by high ranking business travellers and kept them for several month.

- Western countries are working almost secretly on a new trade pact which will allow border agents to search for copyrighted material (music, video, e.g.). Which means they will soon scan actively our iPod, e.g.

Solutions to hide your data:

- travel with an empty notebook and connect to your home sever via VPN to download/upload data needed, clean the data partition afterwards

- encrypt and _hide_ the data on your notebook

- encrypt and _hide_ and store the data on memory cards. Those cards are so small that an border agent needs to search for it intensively and might never find it.

- Work online, never download the data at all: 37boxes, Plaxo, Google Docs, Gmail, e.g.

- Cloud computing: keep a copy of all data online, for documents for example with Windows Office Live. For for large files use services like Jungle Disk.

Cloud computing of course only works if you have a very good internet connection at home and abroad.

The wording makes it really clear that you'll need a very strong encryption.

Federal agents may take a traveler's laptop or other electronic device to an off-site location for an unspecified period of time without any suspicion of wrongdoing, as part of border search policies the Department of Homeland Security recently disclosed.

[color:red]Also, officials may share copies of the laptop's contents with other agencies and private entities for language translation, [color:blue]data decryption[/color] or other reasons[/color].

The issue is of particular concern for businesses, which risk the loss of proprietary data when executives travel abroad, said Susan K. Gurley, executive director of the Assn. of Corporate Travel Executives. After the California court ruling, the group warned its members to limit the business and personal information they carry on laptops taken out of the country.

Of the 100 people who responded to a survey the association did in February, seven said they had been subject to the seizure of a laptop or other electronic device.

L.A. Times

Check out: www.infowar.com

Alex Jones, Martial Law.

Quite an eye opener!

Loose Change, Final Cut, shows that the "story" the US gov is telling about 9/11 is all bull shit!

Many unanswered questions, like how can steel melt with just jet fuel burning? the temps are no where near hot enough!

How about all the explosions?

Why was *** all *** the metal from all the buildings that fell down quickly disposed of and *** none *** of the metal was allowed to be analyzed by FEMA or anyone? Maybe they might fins traces of thermite? which *** will *** melt steel.

Martial Law...video available on the internet, a real eye opener!

This just shows that the general public knows squat about science.

The steel does not have to melt. The high temperatures causes the steel to lose strength. Just think of a blacksmith. He heats the iron and is then able to hammer it into various shapes.

The stored gravitational potential energy of the structure was the source of the "explosions".

The debris was taken to a site, where engineers and other investigators examined the beams, rivets, etc.

FEMA is not an investigative agency! Its purpose is to provide emergency aid to people that have lost homes/businesses due to a disaster.

Now you see how a false premise, for a steel beam to fail you have to melt it, leads to a whole bunch of absurdity. :tophat:

Archived