AMD v. Intel

Hugh_Hoy

There's gotta be a few of you who are computer savvy enough to give your opinions of AMD and Intel processors. I'm thinking of purchasing a new desktop and not sure if going with AMD or Intel is really important.

In the past, my desktops have had AMD or Intel and I'm not sure there was a big difference other than that provided by newer technology.

Seems like Intel's newest processors are quad duo and AMD's similar. Any advantages of one manufacturer over the other? (I'm mainly interested in speed in editing photos and video while maybe doing word processing and surfing the net.) Thanks for any comments.

HH

HH,

it's late, so only a short answer.

Video editing might use the advantages of Quad core processors. Otherwise a dual core should do.

If dual core or quad core, AMD offers better prices at entry level while Intel has the faster processors.

E.g. current prices for processors in germany: The cheapest AMD Athlon X2 is 30 Euro and AMD Phenom X4 is 115 Euro (bought it a few weeks ago for 123).

Cheapest Intel Core 2 Duo is 84 Euro and Core 2 Quad is 131 Euro. They deliver more performance, though.

You'll buy it out of the box or gonna build yourself?

Since a few month there are mainboards available for AMD processors that offer quite powerful onboard video. Chipsets incluce Nvidia nforce 8200 (or 750a and 780a) and AMD 780G and quite new AMD 790GX. They offer enough video power for the casual user. I play UT2004 with an nforce 750a. Most boards offer DVI or HDMI connectors for Video plus the older VGA.

There's not yet any motherboard for Intel processors that is able to offer similar powerful onboard video.

If you're on a budget the decision is easy. Otherwise it depends on your needs or whats currently on offer.

Now, you know less than before?

There's gotta be a few of you who are computer savvy enough to give your opinions of AMD and Intel processors. I'm thinking of purchasing a new desktop and not sure if going with AMD or Intel is really important.

In the past, my desktops have had AMD or Intel and I'm not sure there was a big difference other than that provided by newer technology.

Seems like Intel's newest processors are quad duo and AMD's similar. Any advantages of one manufacturer over the other? (I'm mainly interested in speed in editing photos and video while maybe doing word processing and surfing the net.) Thanks for any comments.

HH

Costco has a deal where you can custom build an HP or Dell...they have a great return policy as well. I had some problems with my new HP machine, and am returning it. It has an AMD processor...I tend to think my problems are more related to conflicts with and within Vista.

HH

What are you going to use the computer for?

What are you going to use the computer for?

I think this is the correct answer.

There are all sorts of clock speed test and other comparisons.

The bottom line is what you are using for.

I have both. But I do jack shit with my computer other than to post useless posts here!

With sometimes one emoticon!

:wave:

First, Khun Chapstick, Iâ??d suspect you are correct if they are Ruskies. Theyâ??ve invented everything. Of course, Comrade Gore one-upped them by inventing the internet. 55555555

Carlton and othersâ?¦youâ??re clearly much more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. Iâ??m basically interested in photo editing (as with Photoshop) and doing some basic video editing as time permits.

As to price, the comparable processors donâ??t seem to make a lot of difference.. I will most likely buy â??out of the boxâ?Â, as a custom-ordered puter seems to cost about 20% more for little extra benefit. Iâ??m looking at the $1000-$1300 range. Nothing spectacular, but sufficient it seems.

Iâ??ve read the Vista v. Xp discussions and links. Iâ??m still confused over which way to go on that. Vista seems to have probs that I donâ??t want to get near. On the other hand, I do like Xp. I guess that might be the least of my concerns, as I can always have Xp installed if Vista doesnâ??t cut the mustard. OHâ?¦have you given that a thought?

Anyway, thanks for the comments. More stuff to mull over.

HH

Intel are the more popular processors right now, I'd stick with them. Depending of your location Dell often has great deals on quad cores with nice size displays.

If you order a PC from one of the big manufacturers check their downgrade (upgrade) to XP policy. If you buy a PC with Vista Business or Vista Ultimate editions you can get a XP downgrade disc as part of the deal and you can be sure there are XP drivers for the new PC.

Archived