Apple's all-new Macbook ...

gobbledonk

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faustian, as you know, I also drool over the Mac Pro from time to time, but I really have to ask if that is too much machine for most of us ? You could spec up a 24" iMac to do 95% of the tasks that professionals were using the Mac Pro for 12-18 months ago : granted, I don't work in a creative field, but I can read benchmarks. Even at AUD 3200 (with 4GB of Apple's expensive RAM..), I still think the 24" iMac is the best bang-for buck in Apple's stable. By contrast, allowing Apple slip an extra 2GB into your base Mac Pro will set you back $4800. The fantasy machine that I specced in a post just a few weeks back has jumped by several thousand to $34K. I expect that Apple fly you to Cupertino to meet the design team if you tick all the boxes on that lot :smirk:

Still, if you've got the cash and you want to 'future proof' yourself for a few years, go for it !

Gobble

Cheaper Apple Memory here...

http://www.crucial.com/promo/index.aspx?prog=mfr_apple&gclid=cmuvg5smkpycfricawodfzjeea&ef_id=1705:3:s_f17c3539103666f175cc0a2205751b1a_1813161263:yol3lkgvmuiaacwejrwaaaau:20081006093408

For fun, I priced out the top of the line Desk top Apple, with every add on possible, was over $20,000 USD!

For those who are interested in the history of 'OS X', please see the Wikipedia entry below. I pronounce the 'X' as 'ten' - when in Rome, and all that - but I've heard Apple resellers pronounce it as 'Ex' : up to you.

OS X

Long story short, the underpinnings of OS X predate Windows 3.1 by about a decade. BSD Unix has stood the test of time, but I dont want to get into a religious war on that.

My understanding of Vista is that it is built on the Windows NT code from the 90's, but that is a big improvement on the 3.1 code. No question that Micro$oft would have been forced to carry some legacy code forward, but I doubt that a single developer on the Vista project wanted the end product to be the resource-hungry monolith that it is in 2008. I doubt that Microsoft will ever be in a position where it can simply say 'OK, all those old apps from 10 years ago - bin them. We are going to start with a clean slate and get it right'. Apple didn't do that immediately when they released OS X, but Leopard shipped (in 2007) without a default 'Classic' environment, the layer which enabled legacy users to keep running their ancient OS 9 software.

As you said not to get in to the jedi wars on OS but I am told by our programmers is that with Unix and Linux the main benefit is it is easy to see what every line of code is doing. Esp so as it is an open source code developed for military applications. Wind. et al made there code purposefully complex to deter cracking but it also made it difficult to deal with.

My $.02

with Unix and Linux the main benefit is it is easy to see what every line of code is doing

Some *nix variants are Open Source and some are not, although the latter are a much smaller set since Sun released Open Solaris. To the best of my knowledge, Apple share some of their source code but keep a lot of it behind closed doors, er, firewalls, and are very protective of their IP.

There are pros and cons to both approaches, but the argument for open source is that you have thousands of eyes looking over the code, and plenty of users who are keen to tell you if they see a potential hole, security or otherwise. What stuns me is how anyone can finish 8-plus hours of coding for a living, then go home and pore over kernel source code ...

Gobble

Archived