Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

Anyone know if anywhere does show the Scottish Football ?

I saw on an internet search that there is a Rangers supporters club at Chequers Bar on Soi 2 Sukhimwit.

Any other bears confirm this ?

hee hee Hartson sent off but celts go through against aberdeen , Lennon summoned to refs room after final whistle.

SC semi draw

Dundee Utd/Ayr United v Celtic

Rangers v Inverness CT/Partick Thistle

Ties to be played weekend March 23./24

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

doug - there used to be a rangers element in chequers but not so strong no. a few still get in their.

lg - ok, i'll go easy. i wanted you to get a result on sunday to round off a perfect weekend crazy.gif" border="0

Okay, still yet another 'dumb' question from a newbie Gooner.

Why is the Worthington (worth-less cup as I've read it referred to)Cup held in such low regard and what is the criteria for the selection of teams?

As a side note, a pet peeve of mine. I enjoy English football because its faster and more aggressive in my opinion than when I watch the Serie A @ Italy, the Bundesliga @ Germany or the Spanish league. What gets me about the other leagues especially Italian and South American strikers is the 'flopping' that goes on from them when anyone even comes near them. The 5 minutes of holding their ankles and crying and then walking perfectly to take their free kick.

For the most part, the English players, bounce right up and leave it to the referee to signify if its worth a yellow card or not. Frankly, I wouldn't have expected that out you Brits (no offense) but respect the style of play nonetheless.

Also, the English style seems faster and more aggressive, especially the strikers which also surprised me as I thought the leagues in southern europe and south americans would be that way.

Okay, final question. How is it determined which teams go to the Champions? First 3 or 4 teams in the Premier standings?

Thanks,

Choc. Steve

American Gooner!

steve - the worthington/league cup was none too popular at is' inception. with a crowded domestic schedule, premiership, fa cup and for some europe, it's seen as a cup too many by by many fans. managers allso see it this way now, with some clubs using it to rest some of their players. the arse/man ure game this season had a mere 30,000 crowd, much less than capacity. low crowds aren't new. i recall going to everton, the crowd was 13,000!

keep posting mate laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by chocolat steve:

Okay, still yet another 'dumb' question from a newbie Gooner.

Why is the Worthington (worth-less cup as I've read it referred to)Cup held in such low regard and what is the criteria for the selection of teams?

The Worthington Cup is the latest incarnation of the League Cup. Open to all memebers of the football league- Premier,1,2&3 some 92 teams.

The FA Cup is open to all memebers of the Football Association and that means hundreds if not thousands of teams are eligible.

Qualifying rounds start as early as the summer. That is why you will see some unfamiliar names in round 1 proper of the competition which is when teams from the football league enter the fray.

Round 3 sees teams from the premier league enter.

FA Cup has been around for ever has great tradition etc. League Cup has not/does not.

In the early days i think i am correct in saying that not all of the old first division even bothered to enter the league cup

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: phiketpete ]

The Gunners seem to have found their form of late - and in the midst of all these injuries, no less.

As I predicted several months back, Pires must be considered for player of the year.

When Vieria, Pires, and Henry are in unison, it is pure magic on the pitch.

Pity about GioVB...

Cheers,

froggo

Not because I'm a supporter, but as objectively as I can be, I really feel Arsenal is the best team in the Premiership. Newcastle is good but can't really compete if we're at full strength. We have a much better chance of beating or tying up there than they do at Highbury.

How Man Utd are still atop the standings is beyond me. They ran off a string of victories but against the lower half of the division. Push comes to shove against us, Liverpool, etc. they fold like a pup tent.

I saw on soccer.net I think, that they're ranked either 1st or 2nd as the best club team. I guess past glory and reputation can get you everything. They aren't as dominating this year as in the past. I'd easily put Roma, Juvntus, Real Madrid or AC Milan over them. As well as the top French and German league teams. Frankly, I'd place them somewhere between Leeds and Chelsea in the Premiership but alas, the standings speak for themselves and until they're dethroned you have to respect their current standing.

Okay, I've done a quick check of Man Utd's season so far. Unimpressive. Of the other 3 teams vying for the Premiership, they've beaten Newcastle (and have lost to them also) and tied Leeds but that's about it. They've lost to us twice, lost to Liverpool.

Okay, I'm a newbie, so someone explain to me why they're the 'best' team?

Archived