Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Given the depleted squad, the win over Everton was impressive.

Still, unless Tony Adams makes a swift return, the Gunners will be forced to play Igor Stepanovs alongside Sol Campbell in the coming weeks. That is enough to send shivers down my spine.

What about that foul on Upson??? No review? No suspension? Oh, I forgot - those are saved for the Arsenal.

Next up - Fulham.

froggo

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: frogpatrol ]

Found a local British pub here in Los Angeles that will consistently have Premier League matches. Aresenal to play Tuesday night. I'll be wearing my shirt (see I didn't say football jersey!--I'm learning).

Had to ask a punter there if the bar supported a particular side. I added if so, please tell me its not Chelsea or the Spurs. He laughed and said in what seemed like, but I'm no expert middle, up country accent (some scouser no doubt - joking) 'No, mate, no worries here, you'll be fine'. Apparantly they take bets there from what I see from a board on the wall.

I'm still worried about the Premiership. How Man Utd stays on top of the board still confounds me. IMO they have been lucky enough to be playing and beating teams at the bottom half of the league for the last couple months. Leeds used to worry me but not any more. I like Fowler. He broke my ex boss' hear when Liverpool let him go there. Newcastle deserves to be mentioned for a job well done so far but I don't believe they can handle us at full strength. Liverpool, well we've proven we're better than them this year. Its gotta be our year.

Up the Arse!!

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: chocolat steve ]

quote:

Originally posted by chocolat steve:

Found a local British pub here in Los Angeles that will consistently have Premier League matches. Aresenal to play Tuesday night. I'll be wearing my shirt (see I didn't say football jersey!--I'm learning).

You might end up looking like a bit of a knobhead as their next Premier league game is on Saturday against Fulham - should be good though, but it's not on TV! If they are showing the FA Cup game against the mighty Gillingham, try and get a bet on Arsenal winning 5-2!!

They are playing in the Champions League tomorrow against Leverkusen but that wouldn't be showing until the next day where you are, would it? As it is, it is not scheduled to be shown live.

Plan ahead!! Check out:

http://www.soccertv.com/england.cfm for the US schedules.

If you are watching TV this weekend you will see two of the finest examples of local 'derbies' you could wish for, where the passion is likely to dominate, rather than intricate, skilful football. Saturday, they are showing Liverpool v Everton which could be horribly one-sided on recent form and then on Sunday is THE big one, Sunderland v Newcastle. This is effectively Sunderland's last game of the season unless we get sucked into a late scrap against relegation. In the last 5 games, Sunderland have won 2 and 3 have been drawn and a win on Saturday will enable the good folk of that town to carry their heads high for another year. If they lose, productivity in all local industries will plummet for a sustained period of time, it means that much.

On current form we will get shagged, but hopefully our new signing, Cameroon ace Mboma, will stick it up the filthy scum.

LG

Here's one to bring a smile to the faces of the Gooners!

No US or Canadian TV for English League Cup

February 18, 2002

The English League Cup Final (Spurs v Blackburn) on February 24 will not be available on any form of US or Canadian TV, including pay-per-view or closed-circuit.

Without the presence of one of the "big 3" English clubs (Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal), the match cannot draw enough of an audience for a promoter to make money on the telecast.

LG

Originally posted by Long Gun:

[QB]Here's one to bring a smile to the faces of the Gooners!

No US or Canadian TV for English League Cup

February 18, 2002

The English League Cup Final (Spurs v Blackburn) on February 24 will not be available on any form of US or Canadian TV, including pay-per-view or closed-circuit.

Without the presence of one of the "big 3" English clubs (Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal), the match cannot draw enough of an audience for a promoter to make money on the telecast.

my my, how peculair that american footy "fans" are unlikely to be interested in anyone other than that clad in red, well-funded, supported from afar trio! its not unlike n. amerincans who follow the premier league to glory hunt or anything...

Long Gone,

The schedule they had written at the bar said 8:30 PM (local time) Arsenal v. Leverkusen so I'm going by their schedule there. It wasn't a Premier League game I believe it was for the Champions.

Thanks for the schedule link. As for other posts saying that the final game will not be seen on North American television, well, at least Arsenal is counted amongst the top 3!

The Sunderland/Newcastle match should be very good. Newcastle seems to be in good form.

Liverpoool v. Everton will be fun if for nothing else to see the supporters of each side. There was an excellent article in the english language Bangkok paper late last year that served as a primer for English football. I recall one of the famous quotes from the Liverpool manager saying something to the effect there are two local teams: Liverpool and Liverpool reserves (meaning Everton).

By the way, my ex-boss from Liverpool visited about a month ago and we talked football. She, (yes she) is actually very knowledgeable. Only child of a football fanatic and was raised as a tomboy and brought to matches as a baby. She said the best footballers come from outside of London, in the northern cities and towns because she said poverty breeds the best footballers. As its a way out. Similar to the American inner city having the best basketball players. How true is that? Any commments?

steve - it was bill shankley who said there are 2 teams in liverpool, liverpool and liverpool reserves. he didn't mean everton, he actually meant liverpool's second eleven.

shit - all these posts about the arse smile.gif" border="0

come on blackburn laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

I've just spent an FA cup-less weekend in BKK. Tell me the worthy cup final is on TV here please! mad.gif" border="0

Archived