Shakedown scams...a drastic measure

Jools

Question for the local experts :

If it is real police up for a little scam and you refuse to pay , what would happen ? They take you to the police station and what happens then , wouldn't they cancel all operations if you refuse to pay and agree to be taken to the station ? Legally this would lead to nothing anyway because either your pills are backed by a home country prescription or not illegal anyway .

There used to be a "cigarette butt" scam on Sukhemvit near Soi 11.

They'd wait for someone to drop a butt and swoop. They would claim it was a 2000B fine but they would generously drop it to 1000B.

The longer the victim argued the less the fine would get. My mate settled for 500 the day I was with him but I saw a report in another forum of a guy who allegedly bought them off an iced tea each at the nearby 7/11.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The cigarette butt" is not really a "scam"

I was victim of it near Emporium -> I pretended not to understand English neither Japanese and started to speak in French -> followed to (bycicle mounted cop) the police boot next to the park.

Then showed my passport but did not let them get their hands on it.

They gave me a paper written in many languages which stated that garbage dumping allows the cops to collect a fine.

Maybe thinking I was a rich foreigner they wrote down 4K bht.

Settled for 500 baht...after some negotiation.

This to say that I was wrong (I could have paid far more than 500 bht in Europe or Singapore) but of course these lads interpret the law.

Like everything, you either have to negotiate and accept the sad fact that these guys are after your money (because underpaid).

Or try to trick them but then you could end up paying far more if they realize it.

Or always know the law and comply with it but this is impossible...

Another tale in the Thai jungle

By the way, last week my girlfriend went to help her mother change house.

Thus a pickup was rented to carry all the stuff.

Were stopped by the police and the BIB remarked that the pickup was overloaded. (which was true)

Then they started negotiating...

Girlfriend ended up paying 400 bht (there were 4 cops) in total.

Farangs are not the main targets, just a target of opportunity, Thai people are far more often victims of cops.

i drop a cigarette on a bridge on Sukhumvit.

The police stopped me down the stairs and i should pay 2'000 Baht. My wife insist and i paid 500 Baht.

Yes, it was 2,000 then it dropped to 1,000 and I paid that. It was mid day in front of Marriott on Sukhumvit. It was hot and I was tired. AND I was unfamiliar with this sting operation.

Anyone know if alcohol was involved in this case? Was this punter alone?

I guess the lesson here is to place any store bought V into an empty prescription container.

Anyway, this is a good warning for all.

Nope, mother already had her own house, her own farm, her own land and even has a second farm and a second house.

This probably explains why the daughter is free to ask any sinsot she wants even if it means nothing.

This said, the mother is not rich but she saved carefully so she could send her two daughters to university (the 2 boys were not bright enough to go to uni).

So don't worry, I did not buy a house nor a condo for any Thai people

2 years ago I met a French couple who paid 5k bht to 3 policemen (15K in total) for having dumped their plastic water bottle on a Sukhumvit soi.

-> dumb French

"patters"? What, are you turning into a Brit now?

And "cunts" (i.e., vagina....the number 1 reason you all are in Tland.).

a. seems like you need to loosen up as one picks up vernaculkar based upon one;s associates. Or are you an arrogant yank who think you are alone in what;'s right?

b. isn't pussy what all men care about? Why is Thailand specisal?

As stated elsewhere, Ekkamai shakedowns are sooooo common as to be expected almost.

Get off at On Nut Tesco Lotus. Try not to arrive at Ekkamai too late.

Never happened or seen it myself, cept the old traffic cop shakedowns of the past, they just pick on motorcycles and trucks now. Shakedowns will continue if punters succumb to them. Reject them outright, stand up for your rights, and ignore the scum. Even if it means a trip to the station and an incredible waste of everyones time.

Archived