Shakedown scams...a drastic measure

Jools

I think that all fees should be paid at the police station anyway and any police demanding payment on the spot is operating his own scam. He would never dare to be exposed doing this on the police station, so demanding to go there would give you a really good chance of fair treatment.

Another good point in paying at the police station is that you will actually get a receipt and pay the correct fee which is normally very reasonable. Thousends of bahts to be saved...

Paillote

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some police boots have their own receipts and they are official ones, not just a piece of paper.

Going to the police station?

Really not a good idea.

Been three times to a police station (and from what I heard Thonglor is far more friendly than lumpini)

once for a foreigner and twice for a Thai.

. You wait for a damn long time (until a superior officer accepts to receive you)

. You end up paying more than if it ha been negotiated on the spot and negotiating is far more difficult given the number of policemen who need to have their retirement taken care of.

. A gift can save some time and maybe some money

(2 bottles of black label to the Captain in charge makes wonders)

In fact, I did not find the Thai police stations different from the African ones (at least in Congo/Zaïre)

If it was for a serious infraction then there is no discussion you will probably be safer in a police station.

But for the little "scams" (which are in fact not legally scams in most cases but rather taking advantage of the law) it is always better IMO to negotiate on the spot.

I always got a receipt but what good does it make to have a paper certifying that you have been robbed by the police?

By the way, all Thai people I have known or know try to avoid like hell going to the police station so I tend to believe them having myself experience the police station's hospitality.

This said, when I had to go to the police station for my own business I never had a problem and never had to wait for a long time.

(maybe the officers in charge remembered the few hundre bht I left there helping friends)

I think that all fees should be paid at the police station anyway and any police demanding payment on the spot is operating his own scam. He would never dare to be exposed doing this on the police station, so demanding to go there would give you a really good chance of fair treatment.

Another good point in paying at the police station is that you will actually get a receipt and pay the correct fee which is normally very reasonable. Thousends of bahts to be saved...

Paillote

Do you have any personal experience dealing at the police station?

You obviously never had to deal with the Thai police and did not read my post closely.

I (except for the cigarette butt incident where I was guilty and which was solved at a police boot) never went to the police station brought by the cops.

I went there to help some friends or do my own business.

Serious offence? Yes then it does really matter because anyway you are in deep shit.

Breaking a law? First, like everyone (including the cops) you don't know all the local laws, second you don't really want to argue with the cops and contest their authority because you might end up being accused of something more serious.

If you are innocent (let's take the case of the medical drugs you bought in farangland) then it might make you feel very good but it will not solve your problem aka the cops.

The cops are "judge dredd" if you prefer so treat them with respect and negotiate while never loosing your temper.

Of course, some cops don't ask you for money even if you committed a small infraction but these cops are not the majority...

Archived