Lurkers, why don't you post?

khunsanuk

I'm a lurker and have been for some time. I've decided to post because your post, Khunsanuk, seems a genuine attempt to understand. I can of course speak only for myself.

I have my own businees that brings me to Asia 6-7 times a year. I try to get to Bangkok for a few days on most trips, and have been doing so for 12 years. I first started lurking on Nana Plaza years ago to learn the as much as I could about Thailand, and it has been very helpful over the years.

I initially never posted because I only wanted information and could get it by searching the previous posts and reading the current posts. Later, as I had more understanding and more I might say, I resisted because I just didn't want to get involved in the bickering and one upmanship I see so much of. Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of intersting conversations and topics. And most of the posters seem decent people. But I see too many times where posters are ready to jump all over someone, being rude, and trying to show they know more. I'm just not interested in that, it's easier just to lurk.

I know this sounds negative, but I really do have a postive view of the board. I use it to feel the pulse of current events in Thailand and a lot of the posts are very interesting. Hopefully I can continue this way, if it's OK with you.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Thank you. I can understand where you are coming from and it does get quite bad here from time to time.

So, if you want to continue lurking then that is obviously fine. It would be great though if you could pipe up every now and then if you feel you can contribute something. Not gonna force you though :)

Sanuk!

....I initially never posted because I only wanted information and could get it by searching the previous posts and reading the current posts. Later, as I had more understanding and more I might say, I resisted because I just didn't want to get involved in the bickering and one upmanship I see so much of....

I'm sorry but I just don't see this as a valid reason for never posting in 4 years of membership. Not everyone get's involved in "bickering" and with all these trips to SE Asia I'm sure you must have had a lot of experiences and could have contributed something useful or interseting over the years. There's absolutely nothing wrong with lurking but using a few arguments on the board as a reason to not post is IMHO frankly not worth posting!

Sorry, nothing personal, just my opinion. :)

Hey...lobert....welcome

Understand and respect your position...

But...think about it...you have lots of experiences over the years that cud benefit "newbies"....so put ur toe in the water and contribute...Please!!!!

There's enough "Old Hands" that will cover your back....and support you....

It's only the returning*A* holes that generally get flamed...

Cheers...and welcome DS

The headline question is very easy to answer:

We are told in unequivocal terms by some of the "elite" bullies here NOT to continue posting (after having our miserable spineless characters thoroughly analyzed and found insufficient for discussions on this board).

Or in their lovely teenager hooligan language:

"What you should do is fuck off!"

You will find it towards the end of the smoking thread in the night life section. There are other "keep on lurking" recommendations adressed to other posters in other threads.

But hey, my purpose was not to call the police but rather to make an ironic twist of your ambition to attract more posters at the same time as some "elite" (the " "s are very much intentional) bullies here fire off strong signals in the totally opposite direction.

On a more general note I repeat my dislike for the all too common tendency here to totally unprovoked get into personal insults, calling names etc. in place of an honest argument. I don't mean to take the sting out of the debates, on the contrary many of the most entertaining debates where I have taken part have been, as Paul Krugman said about the Chicago economics seminars, "notoriously brutal" .But the brutality, the acidity and, the most important element, the irony should be within the realm of the discussion, not in the form of attacks on a persons character (which btw is supposed to be unknown).

It's also a quality thing. The prevalent teenage languague used by the middle aged "elite" here is so bland! Templates like "Pussy" , "balls" , "fuck off" "wanker" etc tend to dull our sensivity for language and should be avoided if you want to attract more readers.

But, maybe I am just too much old school...

Archived