Lurkers, why don't you post?

khunsanuk

Hi everyone

I have been reading the board for 3 years but I haven't posted for a while. I go through phases of posting but usually stop because other people are more knowledgable or can say it better. Anyway I'm back now and hopefully will think of something interesting to say.

Spice Man

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

I do have an interest in getting as much posts (preferably quality ones :) ) and posters on the board. It grows the board, expands the total knowledgebase and opinions, etc.; all of which in turn attract more people to the board.

you forgot to mention that it increases your revenues :content:

ppl. only register & post if they feel they are missing out on something. it's the herd mentality and all that.

you could always delete member that have been inactive for 3 months or more :)

I find it easier to not focus too much on Thailand when I am gone. I drop in once a month or so to the forum and lurk, just to make sure there is something to go back to. Iâ??m in BKK about once a year and regularly go to the Friday meetings when Iâ??m there. More of you would know me by my real name than my screen name.

I find myself in a situation that most of you have gone through, I gave up the P4P a few years ago and now Iâ??m not sure what my relationship with BKK is. The transition has been made easier by knowing many of the long-term expats here who are making the same journey.

Thanks,

Will

Hi,

"you forgot to mention that it increases your revenues"

Ah, right. Well, I guess I'd only need another 3,572,456 more lurkers to start posting before I can live of the income of this board :)

Sanuk!

PS Harry, I would appreciate it if you removed the link from your signature. That privilege is kinda reserved for Board Sponsors.

Jim,

When I (and many other here) first met their wives, their English was also not the best for meaningful conversation.

I would recommend getting her into an english school with a native speaker. Afew hours a week can make a huge difference in only a few months. Thai schools teach English more for reading and writing than for speaking (the teachers can barely speak it) But with the language schools it's all about the speaking, and that is what will benefit the two of you most.

Also, it wouldn't hurt for you to take some Thai classes yourself. It's something I never did, but I know my wife would've been happier if I could've communicated better with her family. Again, focus on speaking skills.

And good luck!

I have been reading this site for a few months but have never felt the urge to join up and post and can see why others might feel the same.

Some time ago a poster called SuaDum posted that he â??knewâ?? the Thai Police monitored this site, this would put many off posting on a site spied on by the Police. This guy did not say how he knew, or why they do, so it all seems a bit sinister. The other day a poster called Munch master posted a PM from another member just to make fun of him, surely these messages are PERSONAL? . Who wants to post on a board where Personal messages can be re posted to ridicule somebody else without any censure from any moderator? Another minor reason is the small clique who post the same old in jokes over and over which makes it appear like some kind of private club. Maybe you should have a gay section where all the suspect gays and their accusers can joke about it amongst themselves, jeez how old are some of these guys, 12? Sometimes I have noticed new posters being accused of being somebody else without any proof, they often then disappear, either because they are, or more likely a genuine new poster who feels they have been unjustly picked on.

There seems to be no Thai or women posters who post as on other Thai related sites, I can only imagine this is because of the nightlife related stuff, maybe more posters would appear if this section was ditched and the site had a more respectable image. I assume this is what the Police monitor the site for, assuming the poster SuaDum is not mistaken.

If you could say that as far as you know the Police do not monitor the site that might help lurkers to post.The fact that only 58 posters have responded to this poll indicates why you are concerned, not many regulars at all.

Just curious, why do you worry whether the Thai police monitor this site or not?

All sites are monitored by the Thai police, but you knew this right? And I mean ALL sites. Trust me. This site isn't special and doesn't receive any special attention.

There are several female posters, no doubt there will be more in future, but this is primarily a nightlife/mongers board and I guess that excludes many females.

I agree with you on the PM bit, but the PM MM posted was not nice and shouldn't remain private, it was a threat of violence! Usually a PM is private. That was a (hopefully) rare occurrence.

Welcome to the board.

Hi,

Faustian has pretty much summed things up already. Yes, most likely the Thai police monitor this board. Just like they monitor every other board with more than a couple posters.

Women posters? Granted, there aren't many, but there are / have been a few. Sure, I could remove the nightlife section and maybe this would result in more women posters, but it would also mean us restricting the topics we can discuss. And like it or not, nightlife is a big part of Thailand.

PTs should be private and it is very rare that a person posts one. Even rarer is when this isn't immediately deleted. The PT Munchmaster posted was however different than most PTs, it was a flame / insult. MM posted it as a warning (proof?) of the poster's nasty character. I myself have received similar posts by email and debated whether or not to post them. I decided against it as I didn't think they warranted the attention, and instead just deleted them.

Sanuk!

....The other day a poster called Munch master posted a PM from another member just to make fun of him, surely these messages are PERSONAL? . Who wants to post on a board where Personal messages can be re posted to ridicule somebody else without any censure from any moderator?....

You think I was making fun of / ridiculing the poster (Rented Surfer/Frede)? Did you actually read his PM? :shakehead:rolleyes:

Archived