Obese have right to 2 airline seats: Canada court

Guy Himmaparn

Think about it, would you rather they be squashed into the seat next to you, whereby you too were squashed into the corner of your seat, or would you rather they have two seats and leave you to enjoy the full space of your own?

I'd rather they pay for what they use just as the rest of us do. The truly obese folks likely can't fit into one seat anyway, so charge them accordingly. Or the airlines could provide a few wider seats on each plane and charge a premium for them, whether used by the obese or anyone else desiring/requiring more room.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In reality, this will have absolutely no affect on your life at all so why bother with it?

A lot of people view fatties as people who just can't resist donuts, like the old Billy Bunter stereotype. The truth is somewhat different and many people are just heavy framed or naturally fat and can't do a feckin thing about it.

Live and let live, if someone genuinely cannot fit into one seat then let them have two. As I said it won't affect your life at all so chill out and forget it :beer:

Actually research did prove that fat people simply eat more.....I studied all about it back in my uni days. Morbid obesity is genetically linked and therefore different, but most people simply eat a bad diet/too much and don't exercise.

My opinion is this ruling is ridiculous. I also hate sitting next to fat people on flights. I'm very tall and broad and they always encroach on my seat in cattle class.

LOL! Yeah, from what I skimmed of the CTA decision, it is pretty far reaching. The logic could certainly be extrapolated that way.

I hope the airlines win the appeal, as I think they are entitled to charge by the seat rather than by the passenger. On the other hand, I think the airlines should make cattle class seats wider, since they know the general public is getting fatter and fatter. (I believe the IATA has upped its average passenger weight the airlines use for weight and balance purposes, and I read that a Kiwi study indicated average passenger weights increase by something like 2% per decade).

PS. If they airlines have to charge by the passenger, then maybe they should charge 100% of the adult fare for infants, whether they occupy a seat or not. :stirthepo

Hi,

"And the buggers have the cheek to charge me for excess baggage!"

Fully agree. The weight allowance should at least allow for the weight of the person flying.

When my wife and I fly our combined weight is ~120kg, which allows us 40kg in luggage. However, an obese couple could easily way 200kg+ and would still get the same luggage allowance.

Sanuk!

Well, I think the airlines have no one to blame but themselves!

Ever seen pictures of the interior of planes back in the late 50's early 60's? The seats were HUGE!

But in an effort to squeeze out every last penny from you they have reduced the size of the seats (probably several times over the years). All so they can fit more people on the plane!

So I think the airlines should eat that cost instead of trying to screw obese people.

I don't consider myself obese, but the seats have shrunk to the point that I refuse to go on a trans-Pacific flight for 17 hours in anything less than "Deluxe Economy" class. 17 hours in something smaller than my car seat? Not happening.

Interesting how the price of oil has dropped like a rock recently, and the price at the pump has dropped in line.

Yet the airlines have not adjusted their ticket prices/dropped the fuel surcharge! Greedy fucktards!

:cussing::cussing:

-=/NN

Archived