President-elect promised change, picking insiders

Flashermac

Oh, and Hugh, cutting salaries 20% would save $175/car (from say $25/hr to $20/hr, avg 35 hours labour/car). That's not a lot on a $20+K purchase price, is it?

Or hey, let's use your inflated numbers (which is ridiculous on many levels, but OK): from $70/hr to $56/hr, avg 35 hours labour/car still only equals $490/car. Do you really think $500/car will solve the problem while taking that money out of the local economies?

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...However, if I were a member of the UAW and were concerned about retaining a job in today's economy, I'd certainly look at seeing what I could do to save my job. Not many guys/gals give up those jobs in the factories, so it must beat farming or working in the coal mines or at Burger King..."

This is exactly the situation we were in at my job, we voted to take cuts, lost the pension etc. O.k. so we have jobs, the company is still poorly run, and the first profitable quarter out of bankruptcy, the execs all split up the profit...so While I see a need for the workers to take it a bit, I also see a need for oversights/controls to make sure this isn't just a free grab from the top. Pensions etc need to be honored, and NOT dumped on the tax payers, tighter pension regulation is needed.

Okay, here's my numbers reported today in an article reporting on the auto bill dying in the Senate.

2 paragraphs from the article...

<

GM says its total hourly labor costs are now $69, including wages, pensions and health care for active workers, plus the pension and health care costs of more than 432,000 retirees and spouses. Toyota says its total costs are around $48. The Japanese automaker has far fewer retirees and its pension and health care benefits are not as rich as those paid to UAW workers>>

So the average wage (meaning the amount a person see's on his check before taxes) is $29.78...far less than the number you claim....which again includes retired people having nothing to do with the salaries of the people you are claiming getting the $69 an hour. Again, nobody...0.0 of the auto workers are making $69 an hour...so please stop saying that they are.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28166218/

Okay, here's my numbers reported today in an article reporting on the auto bill dying in the Senate.

2 paragraphs from the article...

<

GM says its total hourly labor costs are now $69, including wages, pensions and health care for active workers, plus the pension and health care costs of more than 432,000 retirees and spouses. Toyota says its total costs are around $48. [color:red]The Japanese automaker has far fewer retirees and its pension and health care benefits are not as rich as those paid to UAW workers[/color]>>

So the average wage (meaning the amount a person see's on his check before taxes) is $29.78...far less than the number you claim....which again includes retired people having nothing to do with the salaries of the people you are claiming getting the $69 an hour. Again, nobody...0.0 of the auto workers are making $69 an hour...so please stop saying that they are.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28166218/

I thought one of the main issues is to break the unions but it appears the main issue is to get rid of older employees and retirees. :hmmm:

It just goes to show that the REAL problem is the system, NOT the companies! Again, my point is to blame Reaganomics, and the GOPers.

They all should be hung from the nearest streetlight pole!

Repeat after me: "All that trickles down is piss!"

Cheers,

SD

Archived