President-elect promised change, picking insiders

Flashermac

Yes I agree' date=' many auto workers get paid too much for too little, and that has to change.[/quote']

C'mon OH. Do you feel you get paid too much for doing too little? Have you worked in an auto plant? I'd wager that 99.9% of the folks whinging about pay would not last a week in an auto plant at even $30/hour (which is much more than they actually make).

Why are you shitting on your fellow skilled labourors?

Cheers,

SD

It isn't so much the hourly salary that is the problem here. I am referring to the "job Bank" or what ever it is they call it, where in a worker just sits there getting paid for doing nothing. Additionally, the 30 and out pensions and other issues are killing the industry, which either needs to sell more cars, charge MORE for the cars they do sell, or restructure, INCLUDING cutting executive salaries.

"...Why are you shitting on your fellow skilled labourors?..."

What constitutes "Skilled Labor?" Last I checked, the U.S. Government only considers aircraft mechanics (who make less than SOME auto workers) as "semi skilled." Yet I had to go to school for 3 years, and pass federal tests to earn a license to do my job...what is that compared to an auto worker? 20 years later, what do I make? $3-$4/hr more than an auto worker?

"... Have you worked in an auto plant?..."

No, I have not. I have seen the Numi plant (Toyota facility in Freemont California) in operation. You are right, I would not last there too long, as repetitive single task work would drive me nuts. Though the Numi Plant is NOT one of the problems we are discussing here.

"...C'mon OH. Do you feel you get paid too much for doing too little?..."

At times, yes. Other times I don't get paid enough, but it averages out in the end...though I did take a 30% salary and benefit cut and lost my pension, as did many airline workers, and I don't see/hear anyone here or elsewhere crying for us. The cuts were made to save our jobs, never mind all the reasons for it, the bottom line was just that.

Our industry as a whole is poorly run, we requested money from the government, and they demanded we all jump through hoops to get it. The government wanted to see cuts. In the end, they decided we did not need the money, nor did we deserve it as our corporate leaders seemed clueless in a recovery plan. So why should anything different happen with the auto companies? Our industry/company needed/needs to restructure to survive a changing environment, so does the auto industry. Sucks I agree, but that is how it is.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't argue with that SD. Good to see the Republic Windows workers get their money. The bank and the owners may even get their knuckles rapped. :) Or more likely they'll start another company and pull the same trick.

No one who is anti-union can explain to me why collective bargaining by corporations is capitalism at its finest (e.g., WalMart using buying power to get a good deal from manufacturers), but when the proles use it to get fair remuneration, it is evil. :dunno:

RY? YF? Of course, they and their ilk are an interesting psychological study because they are a) middle class at best, and B) insist upon fucking themselves to enrich the wealthy. I don't get it. You *certainly* don't see the wealthy volunteering to give anything to them.

Cheers,

SD

I'll take a stab at it...Unions are the workers rising up in a glorious revolution to take control of the means of production...er something like that...also, unions strong arm poor corporations, and hurt the bottom line. Without Unions, workers would be paid a good salary and benefits...and corporations would have more money to hire more workers.

I'll take a stab at it...Unions are the workers rising up in a glorious revolution to take control of the means of production...er something like that...also, unions strong arm poor corporations, and hurt the bottom line. Without Unions, workers would be paid a good salary and benefits...and corporations would have more money to hire more workers.

rogie has said he is not for Unions but is for a fair wage. That is exactly what the first tenet of the USA communist party says!

Brilliant! :rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

Too bad that's what RY really believes... :(

Cheers,

SD

SD, I'm more interested in what you believe, do you really believe 15 billion will cover it? They first demanded 34 billion. And they said that would cover them for only several months!!! The auto industry has been needless to say very careless. A car "czar" looking over their shoulders won't do much IMO. Did you already forget that the 3 CEO's of the big three flew private jets to beg for public funds. Are you kidding me?!?!? These CEO's are holding american jobs hostages, so let's reward them by giving them 15 billion!!

Okay, off topic but didn't want to risk the ire of forumites and open up a political thread.

There was a rumor circulating in September that Sarah Palin allegedly said 'So Sambo beat the bitch' in reference to Obama defeating Hillary.

A waitress at the table supposedly heard it and I will not believe it based on hearsay from one person I don't know. If someone I knew heard it, I'd give more credence to it so she gets a pass.

I just saw this on another forum (a soccer forum of all places) and thought it interesting enough to post.

This person said he met a very young then Sarah Heath years ago and while he was trying to pick her up she she supposedly said she 'doesn't do black men' during the conversation.

Link

Long before Gregory Charles Royal became a judge on Americaâ??s Hot Musician, a talent competition airing in 200 US television markets, he was a hot, young jazz trombonist. Today, he is someone confirming from first-hand experience that Palin has always been racist as alleged by numerous sources in my original article on her, â??Alaskans Speak: Palin Is â??Racist, Sexist, Vindictive and Mean.â?Â

And heâ??s willing to be quoted by name.

Royal (shown at left) is incredibly talented. He received formal trombone training when he was 11 in the DC Youth Orchestra Program while simultaneously playing in Washington clubs with Roscoe Bowieâ??s Message Band and Show. He also received principal trombone honors in the First American Festival of Youth Orchestras and, at 15, was the youngest member of the Howard University Jazz Ensemble. He toured with Al Blakey and the Jazz Messengers and Slide Hampton and His World of Trombones, and starred on Broadway as an on-stage musician in Five Guys Named Moe, which was nominated for two Tony awards. Along the way, Royal wrote and acted in Itâ??s a Hardbop Life, the first play featuring an entire cast of jazz musicians, which debuted at the 2004 New York Jazz Festival.

He also performed with the Duke Ellington Orchestra for 10 years, from 1989 to 1999. In May 1990, the orchestra was touring Alaska and played in Anchorage. While there, the 28-year old Royal and a small group of other musicians from the orchestra went into a fast food joint near the airport for a bite to eat.

â??I saw a great looking young lady and, as lots of travelling musicians do, I struck up a conversation with her,â? Royal recounted to me after my original piece on Palin was published. â??She told me her name was Sarah.â?Â

Royal admits he was hitting on her and, he claims, she knew it. Picking up women is a regular activity for most musicians, especially when on the road. The reason this particular conversation stuck in his mind is because she said that while she wasnâ??t much into jazz, she played the flute.

â??This is why I remembered talking with her,â? Royal states.

He told Sarah about talking about the Modern Jazz Quartet as an example of not strictly jazz style music but could still be cool. â??I was trying to keep the conversation going,â? Royal says, â??so I mentioned some of the musicians, including Percy Heath.â?Â

â??She quickly let me know that Heath was her name too,â? Royal recounts.

Royal claims that she mentioned going to school in Hawaii but did not say anything about being married or being pregnant. â??I would remember that. Anyway, it was May 1990 and she was just a couple of months pregnant and wouldnâ??t have shown.â?Â

Royal felt he was making progress with Sarah Heath and when a couple of his musician friends approached, he waved them off. â??But she saw them and got weird.â?Â

â??Sarah asked me if they were with me. I asked her what was up because she was obviously a little weird after seeing them,â? states Royal, who has Native American blood in his ancestry is a fairly light skinned while his buddies were much darker.

â??I donâ??t mean any harm,â? Royal says Sarah told him, which is exactly what she meant but he recalls her saying that she doesnâ??t do black guys.

â??I said â??Iâ??m Black,â??â? Royal relates, to which Sarah replied with, â??Well, you arenâ??t really black. Youâ??re like â?¦â?Â

Royal remembers her voice trailed off as if not knowing what to say next as the reality of the situation sunk in on her. â??Then she got real confused and the conversation ended rather quickly and uncomfortably.â?Â

So how did this long-ago, failed pick-up come back to Royalâ??s mind some 18 years later?

â??I followed the conventions but never connected Sarah Palin to the Sarah Heath I hit on,â? he says, â??because there was no physical resemblance and the last name was different. It was from watching an MSNBC story on her that I saw the photos and learned her family name.â?Â

When the now-Sarah Palin uttered the immortal words, â??So Sambo beat the bitchâ? to the hearty laughter of her luncheon companions during the primaries, it was merely an extension of what appears to be her lifelong views on race. When she thought Greg Royal was white, she seemed more than eager to make the beast with two backs with him; in an instant of learning he was actually black, she fumbled for words and fled into the streets â??lest she catch something from him.

At least we know she fits in naturally with the racist right wingnuts that infest the Republican Party, unlike her running mate who says whatever he needs to say at the moment to fit in with them. For whatever thatâ??s worth.

by Charley James

Charley James is an American journalist, author and essayist who lives in Toronto

Well Sarah and I have one thing in common. We both don't do black men. :smirk:

A few things in her defense. If she did say it, it was years ago. Second, having a preference for a certain type of person or excluding a set of people from your dating pool doesn't necessarily mean you are racist.

I have friends who only date blondes or latinas or black women or Asian women (hehehe). I have white friends who don't like black women enough to date and don't have a racist bone in their bodies.

Why post it then? Its Sarah Palin. She's a laugh a minute. I really hope she sticks around. Although I have a fear that she may actually win it if she does. I'm willing to take the chance. She'll spice up any primary in the future in an otherwise boring election.

Archived