Flashermac

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brilliant! :rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

Too bad that's what RY really believes... :(

Cheers' date='

SD[/quote']

SD, I'm more interested in what you believe, do you really believe 15 billion will cover it? They first demanded 34 billion. And they said that would cover them for only several months!!! The auto industry has been needless to say very careless. A car "czar" looking over their shoulders won't do much IMO. Did you already forget that the 3 CEO's of the big three flew private jets to beg for public funds. Are you kidding me?!?!? These CEO's are holding american jobs hostages, so let's reward them by giving them 15 billion!!

As I mentioned to you before, the stakes are too high. Do you punish 3 million workers because you don't like a few guys?

The private planes make sense to me, because you've a) got a guy who makes $10m/yr (that's $5k/hour), I want him working in my company, not queueing to ride an airplane and B) the companies already own the planes (by necessity) anyway so it may have well been cheaper (all it cost was fuel). They all should have come in one plane tho'.

The car czar is just a fucking stupid idea.

Cheers,

SD

That $68 an hour bullshit is exactly that...bullshit! The ones saying it know it's bullshit, but keep saying it. STOP IGNORING THE FACTS! That number is derived in part by counting all the retired workers (not executives...but actual workers) who collect a pension and adding their money to the paychecks of current workers. There isn't a single auto worker making $68 an hour. It's bullshit...and you know it. Stop stating it as fact. It makes everything else you say suspect. .

Okay, you say it's bullshit. Here is a reference. Now show us yours :)

"According to Forbes:

Labor cost per hour, wages and benefits for hourly workers.

Ford: $70.51 ($141,020 per year)

GM: $73.26 ($146,520 per year)

Chrysler: $75.86 ($151,720 per year)

Toyota, Honda, Nissan (in U.S.): $48.00 ($96,000 per year)

According to AAUP and IES, the average annual compensation for a college professor in 2006 was $92,973 (average salary nationally of $73,207 + 27% benefits).

Bottom Line: The average UAW worker with a high school degree earns 57.6% more compensation than the average university professor with a Ph.D., and 52.6% more than the average worker at Toyota, Honda or Nissan.

Many industry analysts say the Detroit Three, must be on par with Toyota and Honda to survive. This year's contract, they say, must be "transformational" in reducing pension and health care costs."

HH

Hugh, these Forbes guys are dumping in legacy costs into the current salary and making it look like a $45k/yr employee makes $100k. It is bullshit analysis at best, lies at worst. But it is Forbes...

And how old is that article? The unions took the lead in 2007 and volunteered to help on health care. Look up Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association (VEBA). So if that article is current, that huge error makes the whole thing suspect.

Pensions are not a union responsibility. If a company has a contractual obligation, then they do. The union are not the bad guys for expecting payment, any more than your credit card company is a bad guy for expecting you to pay your bill each month.

CHeers,

SD

Figures are from 2006. Certainly, if different accounting methods are used, you will end up with different sums. It would seem that the "legacy" $ are what you are quarreling with. Maybe you're right. Maybe not. However, I think we could agree that having to pay an employee 80% of his salary if he's laid off is a bit over the top. True, management agreed to such conditions (as well as other bennies). However, if I were a member of the UAW and were concerned about retaining a job in today's economy, I'd certainly look at seeing what I could do to save my job. Not many guys/gals give up those jobs in the factories, so it must beat farming or working in the coal mines or at Burger King.

HH

Oh, you means the Jobs Bank. The "Jobs Bank" concept was pioneered by Japanese auto companies, who have had a no layoff policy in place for many years. The policies currently in place at Honda and Toyota, which pay workers full salary for an indefinite period, are more generous than job security programs in UAW-negotiated contracts.

With 4,500 workers earning their full paychecks while its San Antonio truck plant was idle this summer, Toyota had more workers in its version of the "Jobs Bank" at a single plant than Chrysler, Ford and GM currently have in all of their factories put together. Link

Just another red herring Hugh. Not to mention that the Jobs Bank saves taxpayers money due to no unemployment insurance claims and JB income is taxable, and the JB person is putting $$ back into the local economy.

Cheers,

SD

Archived