Article wanted

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

sorry for disturbing the community but there are currently 20 threads going on about the PAD actvities and I cannot find a piece I think written in the Nation and recently quoted here , about the background of the PAD chief who was said to have been basically a criminal in his previous life as an entrepreneur . If somebody could guide me there , highly appreciated .

Thanks in advance

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the election of Thaksin Shinawatra as Prime Minister in 2001, several of Sondhi's associates became leaders in the new government. His banker, Viroj Nualkhair, became president of state-owned Krung Thai Bank and gave more than a billion baht in "debt forgiveness" to Sondhi, allowing him to emerge from bankruptcy. Sondhi became a vocal supporter of Thaksin, calling him "the best prime minister our country has ever had."[1]

. . . . .

In 2005, Viroj Nualkhair was dismissed from the KTB after incurring over 40 billion baht in problem loans. Sondhi then began criticizing Thaksin using the media under his control, including satellite broadcaster ASTV.

. . . . .

Sondhi's income skyrocketed as a result of his political activism. Revenues of his media companies increased by no less than 215 million baht (approx $6 million US) a month from the start of his protests to early 2006.[19]

Thanks a lot , it was from the Nation but this one is ok . Background is that I am currently on a local crusade to let people know that the yellow birds are not innocent democrats but criminals lead by a criminal . Most people here think Thaksin is the crook and all others hab good heart . Thanks again .

The people from my neighborhood and office that are PAD supporters will be very interested to know they are criminals.

Since you are not here, donâ??t actually know any PAD supporters and appear to not have any idea what this is actually about, perhaps you should refrain from making judgments based on hysterical posters here and the superficial international reporting you seem to be reading. :(

TH

Since you are not here, donâ??t actually know any PAD supporters and appear to not have any idea what this is actually about, perhaps you should refrain from making judgments based on hysterical posters here and the superficial international reporting you seem to be reading. :(

TH

I can't help but laugh at these pathetic kneejerk expat know-it-all comments. Why is it that everybody and his dog can have an opinion about anything, but when it comes to Thailand, everything is suddenly so goddamn complex it is completely impossible to get a grip on the subject, unless you live here, conducted a full literature study on the matter, read all the thai language newspapers and message boards, conduct weekly interviews with no less than two hundred thai people equally divided over rural and city classes and count at least two generals or MP's among your good friends. :smirk: :rotl::rotfl::mooning:

Face it, most you guys get your info from a lot of the same sources that we do. If your social agenda would be filled with Thai friends you wouldn't hang out on this board! :hippie:

Archived