Where's The Outrage?

Hugh_Hoy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they've little choice but to spend their way out of the crisis.

That simply can't and won't work. Never has' date=' never will.[/quote']

I don't think it's a good idea, I just think there's little room for much else. The usual interest rate cuts aren't available etc.

What would be your solution? I'm especially curious as it's your lot who were advocating this approach. Bush has been running up the deficit like crazy.

My solution, as always, is private enterprise and hard work. Slash federal income tax rates. Reduce or eliminate corporate taxes and taxes on returns on investment. Cut federal government spending drastically (including farm subsidies, federal transportation funds, federal education spending, all earmarks, etc.). Ditch the CAFE standards on cars. Streamline or eliminate regulatory restrictions on new oil refineries and new energy exploration. License new nuclear power plants. Eliminate all "alternative fuels" subsidies (e.g. the ethanol boondoggle). Eliminate import tariffs on sugar and all other industry-specific protectionism. Absolutely eliminate all taxes, subsidies, and mandates intended to reduce "greenhouse gas" emissions.

Then stand clear and let the Amerian people get back to the important business of showing the rest of the world to be the simpering, limp-dicked commies that they are.

I think you have now lost what little credibility that you might have had. You seriously should have your meds checked, they are obviously not working.

Either that or you are a very clever troll and you are posting shite like this just to get attention.

By the way, is this you with the glasses on :surprised:

geeks-760939.jpg

Teddy, you dissapoint me! I thought you were going to have a nice rebuttle for me to read but yet again nothing entertaining. Why post in the politics section if you aren't going to add to the original topic?

Rchapstick is just about as dumb as wood so I don't expect him to post anything that is remotely close to what the topic is. Although I can expect him to mention rogie in every other post. A lil' creepy if you ask me.

HH to add to this topic, I agree with you completely, all the lefties, err I mean "liberals" on this site bitch and complain about Bush spending spending spending, and yet just a few days after Obama was elected he praised that we need to bail out the auto industry. I wonder how much Obama will send to the auto companies once in office. Any guesses?

I agree in part. Slash spending is needed and necessary. Not just in the short term but as a permanent mindset we should think hard about every dollar that goes into the government coffers. That said, there is a lot I disagree with. Its all down to our own ideology I guess. We'll all differ on what is needed and it would be based on opinion and ideology and a lot of it can be argued both ways fairly convincingly.

Things I agree on:

* Cutting federal spending on farm subsidies - I would say corporate farms and make it for those who own over a certain acreage. Call me oversemimental but I like the idea of saving the small farmer. Problem is the corporate farms use 'saving the family farm' to get us to give them subsidies they don't need.

* License new nuclear power plants

* Eliminate import tariffs on sugar and all other industry-specific protectionism (partly agree, it has to be recipricol with the country that is importing)

Disagree on:

* Cutting federal spending on Education: Education dollars need to be spend wisely. The 'no child left behind' doesn't seem to work from what I hear from friends who teach. You can't blame a teacher for a child's progress if that child's home life is not condusive to learning.

So many kids I've grown up with simply had so much going on at home or issues to deal with that learning wasn't on the radar. I'm not blaming teachers, its often the parents. Increasing teacher salaries and lowering classroom size which isn't new but I think would work and is essential in urban areas.

Tommorow's criminals are some of those kids neglected in elementary schools. You can deal with them now or deal with them later on a street corner or in helping them raise their children with government money. Take your pick.

* Cutting all earmarks: some are necessary and effective. The problem is finding the ones that are and aren't.

* Reduce or eliminate corporate taxes and taxes on returns on investment: Eliminate corporate taxes? No way. I would agree on reducing corporate taxes IF we get rid of all their loopholes for a myriad of things. We forget that its corporations that own the politicians. Corporations make plenty of money, their own greed has been their undoing, not onerous rules and regs for the most part.

The invidual investor who likes to play the stock market will always play the stock market I think even at the tax rates on ROI that Obama proposes. I would agree that they match income tax levels in terms of taxation but why lower or eliminate it for them?

* federal transportation funds: its being misappropriated (Ted Stevens road to nowhere, Ted Kennedy's highway to nowhere in Boston), but its needed. We have too many bridges, tunnels, roads, etc. that are either in disrepair to the point of them being a 'tragedy waiting to happen' or we need more built. Our inftrastructure stinks. It needs investing in and it also creates jobs. Its a win-win long term.

* Streamline or eliminate regulatory restrictions on new oil refineries and new energy exploration: We need to ween ourselves off oil not drill for more. We need to remove ourselves from an oil based economy.

* Ditch the CAFE standards on cars. Has the dual effect on saving gas usage and being good for the air. Problem is it doesn't work because again, their are loopholes.

* eliminate all taxes, subsidies, and mandates intended to reduce "greenhouse gas" emissions - I'm not totally convinced about the greenhouse effect, global warming stuff however, I don't think its so onerous that it stifles business.

*Eliminate all "alternative fuels" subsidies (e.g. the ethanol boondoggle: This is needed. The problem is that since corporations run the government by fiat, they had congress put in things that they can benefit from. The boondoggle isn't by the average Joe, its by the people with money.

I thought you were going to have a nice rebuttle for me to read but yet again nothing entertaining

There is something rather contradictory in that statement. You thought there would be something that would entertain you, but there was not. Yet you didn't expect anything entertaining because of previous posts by me. So why the wasted thought.

:hmmm:

Obviously RY, the irony of my last post went right over your head.

The problem with having a reasoned argument with you is, when your arguments are proved to be crap, you come out with the "LIE" of the :FALSE" reply. Or even better, you claim that you choose not to reply.

While I certainly agree with some of what you are saying, the blanket "let's end all regulation and cut all taxes" argument is utter crap. If anything the last three months of BushCo has shown us that intelligent regulation is necessary. The free market does not self regulate. I, for one, have zero faith that Chevron will do the right thing if given carte blanche to do as they choose.

WRT corporate taxes, as Steve stated, they are applied VERY unevenly. Roughly one-third of profitable companies pay NO taxes every year thru clever accounting. Revamping of the tax code for corporations is very necessary, but eliminating all corporate taxes is just naive.

Archived