Where's The Outrage?

Hugh_Hoy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously RY, the irony of my last post went right over your head.

The problem with having a reasoned argument with you is, when your arguments are proved to be crap, you come out with the "LIE" of the :FALSE" reply. Or even better, you claim that you choose not to reply.

While I certainly agree with some of what you are saying, the blanket "let's end all regulation and cut all taxes" argument is utter crap. If anything the last three months of BushCo has shown us that intelligent regulation is necessary. The free market does not self regulate. I, for one, have zero faith that Chevron will do the right thing if given carte blanche to do as they choose.

WRT corporate taxes, as Steve stated, they are applied VERY unevenly. Roughly one-third of profitable companies pay NO taxes every year thru clever accounting. Revamping of the tax code for corporations is very necessary, but eliminating all corporate taxes is just naive.

You misunderstand, RY has no integrity, so such concepts as irony are wasted on him. He doesn't care, he's just playing a little game. He's not intelligent, we all know that, I used to assess intelligence in others, he'd score just above average (and no I'm not talking about just IQ, which only measures 2 aspects of intelligence). He's a linear thinker which automatically condemns him to the lower ranks. No hope of development either!

Fully agree with your other points. Deregulation has led the USA into this mess. The naughty business people just wont be good....Not very patriotic of them to fuck the country over is it? RY is either incredibly naive or stupid to believe the business community will play ball. A transparent fair system is required, with as little "red-tape" as possible, but with as you state, "intelligent" regulation, although I'm not sure there's anyone to provide such a thing....and defining what that regulation may be could prove highly problematic! People have such differing views on "intelligent" regulation............

Actually Chappie, YF has just as much right as anyone here to voice his opinion regardless of his age or work experience. You sound like my dad :surprised:

Voice it, sure, but appreciate being wrong and learn from errors of judgement/understanding. I know he's a nice guy from having briefly met him, but my god some of his views are terrifyingly naive. However, I do think that he has the potential to develop. RY seems incapable.

Problems and solutions are:

We should never have gone to Iraq. We are pissing money down the drain. We got to stop paying for their health care, new hospitals, infrastructure, etc. We should make the Iraqis pay their own bills and since they now have 'peace and democracy', we should leave them alone with their 'peace and democracy'.

Instead of sticking our noses in everybody's elses business, we should devote more time and energy to improving our own country. When Katrina hit New Orleans, the money spent in Iraq should have been used to rebuild the city.

Foreign business operating in the USA should pay more in taxes then local businesses.

There should be a hefty duty on foreign vehicles. The duty should be used for research on more efficent vehicles.

There should be a hefty fee on registering a vehicle and that money shold be used for roads.

When a major national crisis occurs, such as what happened on 9/11/01 and when oil soared to astronomical heights, the government should step in and help those businesses that are/were affected.

The government should impose heft tarifs on foreign computers, washing machines, TVs, etc. The country has to return to being a manufacturing country.

As for deregulating off shore drilling, I don't think that is necessary. Gas is 1/3 of what is was only a few months ago. The question is why? We should also look at why in 1970, the USA was producing twice as much oil as it is now. Why?

As for nuclear energy, I would prefer seeing money spent on solar and other clean sources of energy.

Faustie.

I was given IQ test when I was 12 years old, I was defined as an unruley pupil and distruptive at school (moi) I was feckin bored, always questioning the teachers etc. Did my O's when I was 14 A's at 16 and in Uni before my 17th birthday, fortunately UMIST was only a couple of miles down the road.

IMHO IQ is applicable in my line of work, did I choose the career or did it choose me, the 64 million dollar question, I can still be an asshole with the best of them!

I was tested 'gifted' at about 12 or 13 years old at my school (from what I recall, no where near 200 but high enough for Mensa membership). My parents wanted to put me in a private school. We didn't have the money but the school had a program for underpriveleged kids. I begged them not to put me in it.

There was absolutely no way I could come back to my area with that blue blazer and crest on the pocket. I'd be beaten up, no question. Even my older brothers wouldn't be able to save me and I had a couple older brothers nobody messed with :nahnah:.

My bargain with my parents was to enroll in a program that would enable me to attend a good public middle school and high school in the suburbs. I learned about rock, new wave and heavy metal (and suburban girls with teen angst who rebelled to their parents by dating a black guy). Great experience! :thumbup:

Sad thing is I knew guys in my area who were much smarter. They had both street smarts and intellect. I recall a guy named Aaron who saw some kids at our HS playing chess. Learned it from them and started beating all them at it. He was a great athlete as well. He didn't even get a high enough score on his SATs to qualify for an athletic scholorship. He was functionally illiterate. He was a sharp kid though. Had a brain like a trap. He just didn't like school, felt intimidated by the surroundings at our HS and doing well in school or liking it, unfortunately, was something you didn't do in my day.

So many wasted gifts. Guys who could have been graphic artists. Top quality art work. Could draw anything by sight or memory but wasted it (at the time it was fun though..lol) on walls and the sides of subway trains.

Education or specifically quality education is something I'd like applied accross the whole spectrum of classes and peoples worldwide. Countries that deny women an education (in India, Africa, Middle East) may be preventing someone who can cure cancer, HIV or create renewable fuel for future generations.

Archived