Anger in San Francisco over subway police shooting

Bangkoktraveler

Guest lazyphil

who speaks up for the street kids of rio who get murdered by the cops with impunity?.....i'm not saying john charles de la menanazesez wasn't a tragic case but on the grand scheme of things, keeping in mind where he's from, shit like this goes on daily with far less professional police, but when here half his family were flown half way accross the world, fed and kept at tax payers expense. to go on tv and complain it seems strange. again its terrible, but had this happened in brazil my guess is his family would be voiceless.

who speaks for the 2000 killed on the 'war on drugs' in los?......police had carte blanche to murder. on balance uk policing is healthy compared to many places. is it a case we should know better?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the 'old days' cops lived in the community they served. Or at least lived in the city and grew up with a certain amount of street smarts.

One of the main problems I think is that there are loads of cops that did not grow up in the inner city. They see a bunch of kids with long white t shirts and pants that hang around their butts and they are gangbangers. The problem is that the mode of dress is what EVERYONE wears. The gangbanger as well as the A student.

I spent my final year in a HS in the 'burbs and a fair number of the kids out there wore those black concert t shirts with 'Black Sabbath' or some other hard rock band on it and faded, ripped at the knees or butt jeans. The pot smoking slackers, who barely graduated wore it as well as the some of the straight A honors students. It was the style out there. The cops out there grew up with those kids and could tell upon meeting a group of them who were slackers and who were 'posers' as the pot heads called them.

I wore the same type of clothing as the thugs. It was the style, it was what all of us wore. When I see a kid downtown, I can tell immediately from his demeanor if he's a thug or just a regular kid. Cops can't. At least the rookies couldn't. The veteran cops could.

This cop was a 2 year vet. Not enough time. I'm not making excuses for him. Not at all. He should go to jail. He overreacted and probably grouped all black kids into the same category. In his job he sees the worst kids. The good ones look the same but he doesn't come across them as much. When he does he treats them the same as the bad kids. That happened to me growing up. I grew up hating cops for treating me in a way I did not deserve under the circumstances. If that same cop told my parents I talked back them I would have my ass 'whupped' for talking back to an adult. The older cops sometimes would take you back to your house if they knew the neighborhood and thought you were on the cusp of going in a bad or good direction.

We also had the cops that knew but didn't care. These were cops of Irish or Italian descent who grew up with the prejudices against other ethnic or racial groups they learned as a kid. Blacks were no different. We grew up fighting Irish, Polish, Italian kids as well. Puerto Rican kids in my area grew up the same.

Its one of the reasons they put vet cops with rookies. The movie 'Colors' and 'Training Day' has some lessons in it. These rookie, gun ho cops (2 years experience to me is still rookie territory), need to learn the nuances of the area they have sworn to protect and serve.

The cops were in no danger or very little danger from I can tell from the demeanor of those guys that there was little chance of their doing anything to the cops. Yes, anything can happen and cops must be prepared for any and all circumstances but the odds were that they were not going to encounter resistance from the guys on the train.

These guys were far more cooperative than Rodney King who was high on drugs. In that video some cops were just standing around while others were wailing on him.

I'm pro law enforcement, obviously it's a necessity, but your rant about chicken shit cops reminded me of my youth.

We'd hang out at the park at night in a very affluent neighborhood, not causing trouble, just drinking beer and smoking pot, mostly.

The LAPD came around to hassle us on a regular basis, just part of their rounds.

My pal, "One Ball McCall", always wore a buck knife on his belt. He got his nick by saying, "My name's Buck, Buck McCall, ask me again you'll be missing one ball."

He would introduce himself to the cops as such, while we all stood around snickering. But if he spotted an inexperienced cop, he'd always ask for a badge number and drop names of higher ups while being hassled. He intimidated the fuck out of those guys. Almost seemed like he ran them off, even though we weren't tough or doing anything wrong.

I'm never understood that conservative argument LP -- folks like RY use it in the US too. Instead of striving to be true to your country's ideals, you say "well, at least we are not as bad as ," as if that makes it OK. :dunno::banghead::doah:

Cheers,

SD

Guest lazyphil

of course its not ok. just keeping check on reality. we are no better than people in brazil or thailand and have no greater ideals even if my western arrogance assumes so. but i bet we leave thais and brazilians scratching their heads in puzzlement our concern for one single life. JCDM tragic loss was used cynically by certain sectors.

and i repeat, the JCDM case was totally different to the oakland incident.

we are no better than people in brazil or thailand and have no greater ideals even if my western arrogance assumes so.

Are you sure that you truly believe this?

Does the U.S. really have no greater ideals than Thailand?

How about Saudi Arabia? Iran? Zimbabwe? China? North Korea?

Really?

The London cops mistakenly thought they were after a bomber. The fact that they lied afterwards doesn't look good though. (The surveillance tapes showed how he was dressed, acted etc - and it wasn't what the cops claimed.) Still, it was an understandable mistake that they tried to cover up afterwards. This California cop had no such excuse. Maybe he thought he was Dirty Harry. :(

I'm never understood that conservative argument LP -- folks like RY use it in the US too. Instead of striving to be true to your country's ideals, you say "well, at least we are not as bad as ," as if that makes it OK.

Straw man. That is not an argument at all, it is not a conservative argument, and I have never head it made sincerely, only as a straw man. That argument is typical of no one except for sneering leftists falsely ascribing it to others.

This California cop had no such excuse. Maybe he thought he was Dirty Harry.

It is not surprising yet it is still utterly disgraceful that so many on this thread refuse to allow for even the possibility that the BART officer simply made a tragic mistake of some sort; i.e. that he never intended to use deadly force on the suspect.

Archived