Anger in San Francisco over subway police shooting

Bangkoktraveler

You watch the same video I did? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxBg5Jxp7c

The guy was calmly sitting with his back against the wall, the cops pulled him away to cuff him, two cops kneeling on his back, two others milling about. Then the guy executes him. The excuse I heard was that the cop thought he had his Taser out, not his Glock. I've discharged a Glock, and have seen & know the specs of a Taser. My maid would know the difference -- one's sleek, and metal and has some heft; the other is bigger, boxier and is made of lightweight plastic.

You are semi-correct tho', I guess technically he is not "cuffed" because they only have one cuff on, it seems.

But this will not matter to you anyway. You have shown your racist stripes many times, and aferall, this was just a black kid in Oak-town, so who cares, right? :banghead:

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< BART spokesman Jim Allison has said the officer's gun went off while police were trying to restrain Grant and that Grant was not cuffed. >>

Strangely enough, firearms very seldom "go off" unless someone pulls the trigger. It may have been accidental, but he pulled it nonetheless. This could very well be an incident of piss poor training.

:hmmm:

Going to be controversial, but I don't view this as an accident at all. From a clinical perspective there's no such thing. I could discuss the ramifications of this with folks such as RY, knowing that the concept will never be grasped. However, to say this was an accident is callous.

A reaction/response to external stimulus, certainly. Inner motives and odd/incorrect judgement, absolutely. The combination of which led to a series of behaviours requiring conscious decision making. As Flash has remarked upon, a firearm requires a person to use it. There's no issue of an accident here, but a series of poor decisions based upon a variety of factors, which led to a death. Are those factors to sufficient to excuse the poor decisions made by this officer? That's what the issue is for me.

The officer takes responsibility for his actions. He killed someone. With such a responsibility come consequences. A taking of a life should not be a trivial matter.

<< BART spokesman Jim Allison has said the officer's gun went off while police were trying to restrain Grant and that Grant was not cuffed. >>

Strangely enough, firearms very seldom "go off" unless someone pulls the trigger. It may have been accidental, but he pulled it nonetheless. This could very well be an incident of piss poor training.

:hmmm:

Police spokespeople and their unions would say this was an accident, etc. but behind closed doors the same people will say this person was a retard.

Some are claiming now the cop meant to use his taser. Sounds good but if you look at the movie, the victim was subdued. When the cop got up to shoot, the other cop moved so he would not feel the effect of the taser. So this is probably what hapened. Across the USA there has been a rash of reports of people getting tasered who didn't think they needed it or being tasered excesively.

Cops carry their tasers not in the same holster as their service weapon. They are generally carried on the other side and are drawn as a cross draw.

Especially since 9/11/2001 the cops have become more paramilitary. Where I live, the cops have a tendency to do more illegal searches. In the pass claimed "We got to do something because of the drugs and weapons that pass thru the area", now they add to that expression "possiblity of terrorism".

If a person commits a crime and gets caught, look at the police reports. Generally you will find in the police report a lot of 'extras' that didn't really happened but are put in the report to help convict the person.

I saw only one clip of the shooting. Officer kind of looked surprised and shocked when he realized what had happened. Big time tragedy...and problem.

HH

I agree, looks to me like he put the weapon back in the holster and put his hands to his head like "What the f*ck have I done?". Though there is a big difference between a pistol and taser, I still think there may some validity to the theory he intend to tase him. Doesn't change the fact he shot him and he should be punished for the that, but I don't think it was cold blooded first degree murder.

Cops are people and they do the same stupid, dangerous things everyone else does when in a high pressure situation, even if the high pressure was self created, as is often the case with how cops react and get themselves worked up.

TH

O.k. Cops are people...fair enough I suppose...EXCEPT, they, and the courts seem to think they are some sort of "Super people with super integrity." Given that, and given that they all seem to think they are all so high and mighty and NEVER make mistakes , then I say hold them ALL to that exact standard. Don't let them have it both ways. Either they are infallible men of integrity, or they are as common as the rest of us and can fuck up. Don't let these ass clowns play it both ways.

O.k. Cops are people...fair enough I suppose...EXCEPT, they, and the courts seem to think they are some sort of "Super people with super integrity." Given that, and given that they all seem to think they are all so high and mighty and NEVER make mistakes , then I say hold them ALL to that exact standard. Don't let them have it both ways. Either they are infallible men of integrity, or they are as common as the rest of us and can fuck up. Don't let these ass clowns play it both ways.

If a civilian shot another civilian under the same circumstance, the civilian would have been arrested.

Why hasn't the police officer been arrested?

O.k. Cops are people...fair enough I suppose...EXCEPT' date=' they, and the courts seem to think they are some sort of "Super people with super integrity." Given that, and given that they all seem to think they are all so high and mighty and NEVER make mistakes , then I say hold them ALL to that exact standard. Don't let them have it both ways. Either they are infallible men of integrity, or they are as common as the rest of us and can fuck up. Don't let these ass clowns play it both ways. [/quote']

If a civilian shot another civilian under the same circumstance, the civilian would have been arrested.

Why hasn't the police officer been arrested?

Exactly my point! These ass hats with badges get to claim super integrity and super judgement, so they should be fucked worse when they are proven to fuck up.

My understanding is, he was tested for drugs and alcohol. But I would expect the truth from these people. As I said, if this hadn't been so widely witnessed and taped, it would have been swept under the rug already.

Archived