Obama preparing order to close Gitmo

Flashermac

Me too. Instead we sold our souls.

What cracks me up is the ascertation that the threat from these extremists are any worse than threats we have had over the 230+ years of our country's existence. Newsflash! No they are not. We just had better leaders...ones who did not panic and/or see it as an opportunity to enrich their friends!

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
War is hell.

Only the bankers win, IMO!

Waaaay to many innocent dead, both US and Afgan/Iraq citizens.

It seems that to kill one terrorist, 100 civilians also get killed and I don't like those numbers at all!!!

That's because of our using the wrong tools to solve the problem. Terrorism is a legal problem, not a military one.

Clinton did it right in 1993: arresting and charging those responsible for the WTC bombing, not sending in the military to wipe Egypt (and 99.9% of the innocent civilians) off the map.

Cheers,

SD

I would say more of an educational problem.

When Malaysia was fighting the communists, they educated themselves out of the problem and they also quickly killed off some.

IMO, democracy will never work for some generations to come in the ME. Need to get the younger generation properly educated.

A bit different: the communists in Malaysia were almost all from the Chinese minority. Also, the SAS pulled off a spectacular attack that wiped out most their leadership in one swell foop. Sort of like taking out the top dogs of al Quaeda and leaving the followers without guidance.

You're right. The captives should've been detained completely in secret, interrogated until the last bit of valuable information was extracted...and then executed and dumped anonymously in the ocean. It's rediculous for anybody to believe that terrorists should be given the same rights as citizens and accorded the same guarantees. These assholes have or are trying to kill us for fucks sake! Only a dumb shit would think that, if released, they will not return to their terrorist ways. Didn't take Obama long to fuck something up.

HH

A bit different: the communists in Malaysia were almost all from the Chinese minority. Also, the SAS pulled off a spectacular attack that wiped out most their leadership in one swell foop. Sort of like taking out the top dogs of al Quaeda and leaving the followers without guidance.

Al Quaeda is reportedly compartmentalizing itself into semi-autonomous cells, acting on their own. Makes the "war" on terrorism seem even more ineffective, even though I do think that a massive and intensified military campaign in Afghanistan is necessary.

Apart from the case of Afghanistan, I fully agree with those who consider anti-terrorism a police and educational rather than a military matter. Especially infiltration and intelligence should be more effective. Not least should the mosques and the islamic schools be monitored and if belligerent messages are taught, they should be closed. Such a policy would necessitate better cooperation with moderate muslim governments than during the Bush presidency. Obama might be the right man for such better relations.

You're right. The captives should've been detained completely in secret, interrogated until the last bit of valuable information was extracted...and then executed and dumped anonymously in the ocean. It's rediculous for anybody to believe that terrorists should be given the same rights as citizens and accorded the same guarantees. These assholes have or are trying to kill us for fucks sake! Only a dumb shit would think that, if released, they will not return to their terrorist ways. Didn't take Obama long to fuck something up.

HH

Sounds like you are saying HH is that we should be as bad as the enemy. But if we beome as bad as the enemy, what differentiates us from them?

Archived