Obama preparing order to close Gitmo

Flashermac

It seems a lot of the detainees are kept just because they fought against us and the fear if released they'll do so again.

"Just" because they fought against us? Holy cow, Batman. And the fear that if released that they will again take up arms is legitimate. I say fly em out over the Atlantic and push em out of the plane at 20,000 feet. :thumbup:

HH

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HH, I hear ya. Trust me, it doesn't make me sleep better knowing that some of them may take up arms again.

However, the rule of law is what we have and what we must adhere to. As much as it pisses me the f**k off murderers and rapists go free in our courts but they are free because of the rules we all agreed to abide by.

The one thing I objected to from the start was a declaration of war. It was the first time it was not declared against a country. We declared war on a term: terrorism. It can mean different things to different people. It was open to intpretation by who ever is sitting in the oval office.

I believed then and still do now, that the Bush administration asked for a declaration of war to give them leeway for all kinds of things. This war is just like the war on drugs. It has no end. It can go on ad finitum and will. The definition will be expanded by some future President (hopefully not this one).

We are in a lot of gray areas because of this. These prisoners are in a gray area and because of that we have defined a gray area of the law to suit our needs. Its a dangerous thing to do.

Dumping them in the Atlantic sounds like a good idea to me, it does, but as many have said, it makes us no worse than the people we are fighting.

Also, this opens up our troops and citizens for the same treatment. Any kidnapped soldier or citizen could be said to be kept until this war is over.

We make a case or get rid of them. Finally, what doesn't sit well with me are the reasons why we have places like Gitmo for these guys. By bringing them into the U.S. they are subject to certain rights and processes and we are deliberately placing them outside the U.S. to avoid that. Its scary frankly.

Guest lazyphil

those fucknuts were happy to accept cia help etc fighting the russians then this is the thanks you get. fuck them. rules of law?....we're in the final moments of humanity-armaggedon looming and we care a toss about rules of law. lmao.

Archived