Expat Monthly Income

cavanami

This is surely going to be a rather skewed result, as there must be at least two if not three distinct groups of expats living in LOS.

Group 1. True (or traditional view of) expats. Working 'in country' on contract for a Western company. Paid a Western salary with lots of perks, housing, car, health cover etc. Though I think this group has probably been declining.

Group 2. Westerners who are working in LOS, but to a degree on the local economy. No big expat packages, though probably paid a lot more than locals.

Group 3. Westerners who have retired in LOS.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sid,

I must fall into group 4 then. Group 4 is a mix of group 1 and group 3. I used to work for a MNC on an expat package but now have my own company and work freelance. Fees that clients are prepared to pay equate to a weekly turnover greater than my monthly expat salary so I choose to work less hours.

Group 1. True (or traditional view of) expats. Working 'in country' on contract for a Western company. Paid a Western salary with lots of perks, housing, car, health cover etc. Though I think this group has probably been declining.

Group 2. Westerners who are working in LOS, but to a degree on the local economy. No big expat packages, though probably paid a lot more than locals.

Group 3. Westerners who have retired in LOS.

some more

Group 4. Westerners working as freelancers (not in Nana carpark!), like Mekong or Westerners with their own business/company

Group 5. Westerners working in various other Asian countries and using Thailand as hub/weekend retreat or whatever

Group 6. Westerners working under local conditions/at local salary levels or just slightly higher

Group 1. True (or traditional view of) expats. Working 'in country' on contract for a Western company. Paid a Western salary with lots of perks' date=' housing, car, health cover etc. Though I think this group has probably been declining.

Group 3. Westerners who have retired in LOS. [/quote']

some more

Group 4. Westerners working as freelancers (not in Nana carpark!), like Mekong or Westerners with their own business/company

Group 5. Westerners working in various other Asian countries and using Thailand as hub/weekend retreat or whatever

Group 6. Westerners working under local conditions/at local salary levels or just slightly higher

Group 7 â?? Westerners married long term to Thai women with families that work overseas, usually in Engineering and/or Construction, all over the world (often in the ME, though Africa is becoming big) and make 2 or 3 trips home each year. These guys typically make a 100-200k USD annually and are patiently waiting to retire to Thailand when they get late 50â??s or early 60â??s.

TH

Archived