Obama Addresses Congress on TV Tuesday - How Ugly Will it be?

TheCorinthian

Shakespeare used double negatives and did other things grammarians say one should never do. Wonder what the old boy was thinking.

<< When do you use "I" and when do you use "me"?

It is a common occurrence to hear the incorrect usage of "I" and "me". This is one of the simplest grammar corrections. "I" is a pronoun that must be the subject of a verb. "Me" is a pronoun that must be the object of the verb. The easiest way to decipher the two is to remove the other noun from the sentence and see if it still makes sense.

Examples of the correct use of "me"

Please come with Julia and me to the park.

[Please come with me to the park. (Please come with I to the park doesn't make sense.)]

I heard the teacher talking about him and me.

[i heard the teacher talking about me. I heard the teacher talking about him. (I heard the teacher talking about I, or I heard the teacher talking about he doesn't make sense.)]

Examples of the correct use of "I"

Georgia and I went to the beach this weekend.

[i went to the beach this weekend. (Me went to the beach this weekend doesn't make sense.)]

She and I have to make a cake.

[i have to make a cake. She has to make a cake. (Her has to make a cake and me has to make a cake do not make sense.)] >>

http://hubpages.com/hub/Grammar_Mishaps__I_versus_Me

(Bored and in a pedantic mood.)

p.s. English is basically whatever people say, not what the grammar books insist. Say what you want. GWB slaughtered the language!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually his speech is excellent' date=' full of vision, integrity and honesty.

Something repuiblicans don't understand.

I like that he's going to make the government more accountable, reveal the costs of war and make 2 triilion dollar savings. Stop torture, get rid of gitmo and address Americas international image.

I thought it was good that he pledged not to raise tax for 95% of Americans earning less than 250,000 Dollars a year, but it amused me that the republicans stayed sat down for this. Do they give a shit about their countries people...or just the top 5%? It instantly and clearly demonstates just how retarded republicans are...they need to change their thinking. [/quote']

40% for 250k/year is beyond rediculous.

I don't know too many people making a quarter million that actually pay taxes at the rate the IRS says they should.

I'm no big fan of taxes. I wouldn't mind a flat tax (yes, I know the argument about paying more that way).

The IRS tax code is encyclopedic. There are a variety of ways you can lower your taxable income, write off this and that, nothing that a half way decent CPA can't get done for you.

The richest people in the country pay contribute the vast majority of the tax revenue but they don't pay at the top rate. Who do you think has the money to hire the lobbyists to get Congress to put in loopholes?

Its also a fallacy that its a 'job killer'. Also that by taxing the people who create the jobs (the wealthy) they won't create as many jobs.

First of all, I've also never heard of someone who has a great business idea to say 'I won't do it because the tax rate is too high for small businesses'. If you build a better mousetrap you're going to do it, in any environment because you are a) excited about the prospect of it being hugely sucessful and B) you want to get in early before others beat you to it.

Entrepreneurs are and always have been creative. A bad economy (recessions, even depressions) actually creates opportunities for those who are observant to new needs.

This economy will create new millionaires and new niches and industries, just like all the prior ones have. After the 'stagflatoin' of the '70s, the '80s gave us the 'uber' stores like Home Depot and Wal-Mart and after the recession of the early '90s, the tech industry rose like a phoenix out of that recession.

Something will happen after this one as well.

I don't know too many people making a quarter million that actually pay taxes at the rate the IRS says they should.

Then you're saying his action of increasing their taxes does nothing. So why is he doing it?

Its also a fallacy that its a 'job killer'. Also that by taxing the people who create the jobs (the wealthy) they won't create as many jobs.

First of all, I've also never heard of someone who has a great business idea to say 'I won't do it because the tax rate is too high for small businesses'. If you build a better mousetrap you're going to do it, in any environment because you are a) excited about the prospect of it being hugely sucessful and B) you want to get in early before others beat you to it.

Entrepreneurs are and always have been creative. A bad economy (recessions, even depressions) actually creates opportunities for those who are observant to new needs.

This economy will create new millionaires and new niches and industries, just like all the prior ones have. After the 'stagflatoin' of the '70s, the '80s gave us the 'uber' stores like Home Depot and Wal-Mart and after the recession of the early '90s, the tech industry rose like a phoenix out of that recession.

It's not that it won't happen, it won't happen as often. Higher taxes means you have to take less risks since the rewards are less. That really shouldn't be hard to see.

Then you're saying his action of increasing their taxes does nothing. So why is he doing it?

First of all' date=' I've also never heard of someone who has a great business idea to say 'I won't do it because the tax rate is too high for small businesses'. If you build a better mousetrap you're going to do it, in any environment because you are a) excited about the prospect of it being hugely sucessful and B) you want to get in early before others beat you to it.

[/quote']

It's not that it won't happen, it won't happen as often. Higher taxes means you have to take less risks since the rewards are less. That really shouldn't be hard to see.

I don't know one person who makes a lot of money that pays much in taxes. They just use a lot of the deductions to reduce their tax burden.

First of all' date=' I've also never heard of someone who has a great business idea to say 'I won't do it because the tax rate is too high for small businesses'. If you build a better mousetrap you're going to do it, in any environment because you are a) excited about the prospect of it being hugely sucessful and B) you want to get in early before others beat you to it.

[/quote']

Total crap!

So a person wanting to start a new business, wont do so because of a few percentage increases in tax?

LOL

Which planet are you from? You've really bought the GOP bullshit. Hook, line and sinker.

I can see it now, all the budding entrepreneurs....putting their dreams on hold because of a minor tax increase...waiting until the next republican administration....

For real! You really believe the propaganda....hilarious!

A very academic argument that has no basis in reality. Just look at the 1950s. Amongst the most successful times in our country's history. But the top tax rate was 90%...

Cheers,

SD

Archived