Iowa third state to legalize gay marriage.

youngfarang

Animal marriage? What a stupid argument Frash. In no way related, just ignorant.

Incest is illegal for public health reasons (mutated children). Much better reason than "oooh, they do icky stuff in the bedroom." But you know what, if the couple are consenting adults, I really do not care. They'll weed themselves out of the gene pool soon enough.

Cheers,

SD

I don't understand why some get their panties worked up in a knot over 2 gays getting married. As you said, when they get married, this prevents or reduces there chance of them from producing off springs. For those who hate gays, you would think this would be the way to eliminate them. But then, maybe they really don't hate gays. Who knows?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Iowa, huh. How about marriages with sheep and other farm animals? Is incest still illegal? Can father marry his daughter if they both are wiling? Was Oedipus a victim of bigotry?

:hmmm:

Hmmm, always those 2 extremes...both probably used as arguments against whites marrying Asians, which I seem to recall was still illegal in California until 1948? When did the last state repeal it's laws against black men marrying/copulating with white women? I mean some still consider interacial relationships un natural sins against god and his law.

In reality, does keeping gays from marrying really effect any of us? weaken our marriages? No, it does not. Not anymore than whites and Asians, Blacks and whites, Blacks and Asians etc marrying.

Really, I don't think the states should have any say in the matter. It is a matter of discrimination that is covered in the Constitution.

States should have no right to outlaw gay marriage just as they should have no right to outlaw mixed marriages. In the United States, every man is created equal with the same rights is the bedrock of who we are supposed to be as an American. Those opposed either do not really understand what being an American is about...or they choose to see themselves as a Christian first, and an American second. But Christians shouldn't set American laws...Americans should. Otherwise real people suffer while these Christians spend their time placating their invisiable man in the sky.

What irks me is that the religious nutters make a big deal out of this. It has nothing to do with them or their religion. 'Civil' marriages are a legal construct to protect the parties involved in what is a 'legal' contract. God, Allah, Jesus, Mohammad have nothing to do with it and nothing to fear. Religious ceremonies are NOT a legal contract for marriage. Even these marriages 'under god' need to be registered with the CIVIL authorities before it can be considered legal.

And no church is forced to marry anyone/any couple that is prohibited by their religion. So it is all once again the religious morons trying to force their belief systems on the collective citizens of a country, which is complete horseshit as not everyone is religious or believes in their fairy tales.

What adult people do behind closed doors is up to them, what and who they want to marry is no one else's business really. I couldn't give a shit less if fifty people of every race and color want to all marry each other and call it a marriage. 'Legally' they should be able to. It is merely a legal contract, nothing more.

The major problem in all this has to do with the children produced in any 'legal' marriage. There needs to be a real and in depth look at how any of these marriages and partnerships will affect any children involved and an intelligent contract and set of laws and rules needs to be set up to protect the children, who have too little say even to this day. Childrens rights to me is the most important thing in these marriage contracts. Gay men can not produce offspring with each other, neither can lesbian women. The big problem is that many gay men and women have been in heterosexual marriages before they come out and decide they are 'gay'. That to me is the crux of the problem. Should the children, under the age of reason, or even under the age of legal emancipation (can't think of the word I really want here), be raised by the gay couple? I am not asking can gay couples be loving parents, good parents, and good role models, but, is it healthy and a good thing for the impressionable children they might have had in a hetero earlier marriage to be raised by the gay couple? Does it matter in a loving family? Should they be allowed to adopt children? Should they be allowed to be artificially inseminated by a donor to be able to have children they can then raise as their own? Should gay men be allowed to adopt children from their lesbian friends that agree to this and be allowed to adopt and raise said children? This is what has been happening and what needs to be looked into by those with the creds and background to be able to say yes or no it is good for the kids.

I feel no one with any true sense gives a shit about what, and with whom, grown adults do with their dicks and pussies (to put it crudely), but marriage is not only about adults, it is also likely to be about kids as well, and that is where I feel the true problems can arise and society needs to be having a serious debate about this factor. What about the kids?

JMHO.

Cent

Archived