Iowa third state to legalize gay marriage.

youngfarang

Does anyone really think the Founding Fathers envisioned men marrying each other, or women doing the same? I sincerely believe they would be agreeing with HH.

For another thing, that "all men are created equal" stuff was written by Thomas Jefferson, who owned a sizeable number of slaves! Hardly very equal treatment ...

:stirthepo

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone really think the Founding Fathers envisioned men marrying each other, or women doing the same? I sincerely believe they would be agreeing with HH.

For another thing, that "all men are created equal" stuff was written by Thomas Jefferson, who owned a sizeable number of slaves! Hardly very equal treatment ...

:stirthepo

You are quite the devil's advocate...

Flash,

No, I'm sure they didn't.

But it's the principle that is important. And if it's important for some, then it's important for all.

But it is only important for the "some" who are gay. Is that your position? The principal espoused by folks who think like me are not important. Okay. If u say so. :bow: (Hmmmmmm...)

HH

But why should the people OR the legislature decide who can get married?

Way to dodge my comment, now admit it, if the law read "Marriage is for 2 consenting adults regardless of race, creed, color, or national/ethnic origin..." You'd have no issue with it, but add "Gender" into it, and that is where you and the others lose it...

Why should the people or legislature decide who can get married? Good question. I suspect that for many here, a better question would be: "why should a person marry?" My answer to the first question would be because "the people" are the ones who are most effected and legislatures are representatives of the people. As to why people should marry (or not marry), the reasons will vary from individual to individual.

Ok, I was a bit sarcastic when I responded about ice skates. But I don't see people opposing the association of the term "marriage" to gay unions "losing it". I don't want to be dragged into writing an entire essay that would end up completely hi-jacking this thread. I'll just add to my previous comment regarding why I oppose the use of the term "marriage" applying to gay unions very succinctly: it is another erosion of cultural and traditional mores that have taken a heavy toll on Western society in just the last 50 years.

OH..now u can stop holding your breath, just in case you've been so doing. "Gender"...isn't that what this thread is about? Of course I object to same gender unions being referred to as "marriage"

HH

Iowa, huh. How about marriages with sheep and other farm animals? Is incest still illegal? Can father marry his daughter if they both are wiling? Was Oedipus a victim of bigotry?

I understand the sheep part.

But what other farm 'animals' are appropriate for marriage?

Archived