Bangkok Now

Ckrisg

From Stephen Leathers Blog 12 April 09

Where am I right now? Bangkok. Have I seen any trouble, tanks or troops? Nope. Am I following the Ambassador's advice and staying home? No I am not. Went out all day with my daughter and didn't have a glimpse of trouble. Had lunch at the Landmark Hotel, went to see a movie at Major Ekkermai (Monsters Versus Aliens in 3D - brilliant!) and went shopping. Then went out at night and got back at 2am and all was well. Thailand is always volatile, that's part of the charm of the place. Don't believe the scare stories!

Well there were tanks, troops and red shirts running around near Victory Monument, so I'm real happy you good folks are having a peaceful time of it. Some of us weren't......

Now I'm in Phuket, in a cushioned 5 star environment....things are quite different....

It rained this morning around 9am, so the humidity is about 500%. It is beastly hot. I decided to venture out and restock the larder anyway, but the damned buses aren't running! This was on a major north-south Bangkok road, too. Some tuk-tuk driver was explaining how the govmt stopped the buses so the Redskins couldn't use them - and asking some ridiculous amount to take you wherever you wanted to go. Taxis were out doing the same thing.

So now we know what this nonsense is all about. The taxi and tuk-tuk drivers aren't pro-Thaksin. They are just trying to gouge everyone out of money!!!

:cussing::cussing: :onfire: :banghead: :onfire: :cussing::cussing:

Archived