Patpong Market Raid

Mekong

The problem with digital media is that nothing is really genuine, including the non-pirated CD or DVD. Everything is just a copy and the disc will be exactly the same even if you make millions of copies of it.

Seen in this perspective, an "original" CD (500 baht) is ridiculously overpriced, even if you factor in a reasonable percentage for the artist or composer.

I have never enjoyed buying CDs in the same way I enjoyed buying vinyl. Every LP that I bought was unique in its quality of pressing, the authentic musical waveform was physically there, with an enormous amount of information. The human ear is much more sensitive to distinguish between digital sampling and an authentic analogue waveform than the engineers at Sony and Philips could understand when they created the digital disc.

I remember my disgust when hearing my first CD back in the 80ies but things have improved a lot. Some CDs these days sound really good, but if you don't have a very good CD player the difference between CD and vinyl is still like the difference in having sex using condoms or not.

Than again the new digital formats such as Dolby True and DTS Master HD can sound really good. But still different from vinyl.

This was off topic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still off topic

From an article on the issue digital is fake (forgotten which one):

There exists a fine, almost invisible digital barrier between you and the cognizance of what is real and belonging to the natural sound of living things. It is fundamental to the way your brain processes the sounds in the world around you. We have a marvelous instinct based on a very primitive ability to filter out background noise and sense movement and hear danger approaching in the dark. The barrier I refer to is comprised of digital noise (possibly quantization noise) these digital artifacts exist on a subliminal level but the human brain instinctively senses the difference; these do not fit into our analog

world. The human sense of hearing has approximately one thousand times the bandwidth and therefore is far more sensitive than our visual senses; somehow we all seem to just take this for granted. The ability of so-called Golden Eared audiophiles is based largely on a trust in their own innate auditory reflexes and instincts. Leaving behind the

psychoacoustic considerations, I believe any one who seeks to find enjoyment in music should find a way to play analog recordings. There is a vast body of music on black discs that will never appear on a digital disc. You can find tens of thousands of recordings at yard sales and flea markets for a dollar or less. Compare that to a CD that cost less than a dollar to make and sells for fifteen times that amount. I could tell you in microscopic detail about dozens of recordings that I have played but I would only be repeating essentially what I have already told you. The description would not change, analog sounds natural, and it sounds more lifelike.

Hell, I finally found a good site to download movies from easily and fairly quickly with my slower adsl in Surin. I download a movie or 2 almost every day and save to watch later. Excellent quality, DVD rips. They are near perfect, and it is easy to do. I don't do anything with them but watch them, or sometimes burn a copy and lend to a friend or two when I am done watching it. It's great as I am not in BKK where you can buy the DVDs easily in English/Thai etc. Most sold here are only in Thai and in VCD format, or the English language DVDs with a few languages are expensive (even though they likely are copies as well). The past couple of months I have watched all the recent movies out the past few months. I just leave the PC on downloading all the time and there is little if any problems doing so. Easy even for a somewhat techno- challenged guy like me.

Archived