Poll: Did you marry a bar girl?

SpiceMan

Or, maybe she can do some catering for the local neighborhood women's group gatherings? Thai food is popular, she can cook the spring rolls, some pad Thai, garlic wok fried chicken wings, maybe a curry, etc. A set menu for a set price for a set amount of dishes and people/plates. Do a couple varied menus they can choose from. Not a big thing, but for like 10 or less people.

Also, she can teach Thai massage to the women so they can give hubby a massage? :-) For an additional fee of course.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can jabber away some basic Thai to save my life ("Uuuurgh, Ima cummmmminnnnnggg, take that, slut!!!" "Arai?" "Mai pen rai, boom boom dee!"), slightly better in Lao-Issan (but still very poor).

Now if I live just a few months with a Thai who can't speak any of the languages I do speak, I'm pretty sure I'll become fluent in Thai in no time.

The problem is not "how" to communicate, it sorts itself out with some time and effort. The real problem that might likely occur is figuring out "what" to communicate about.

If she did massage, it would have to be under the radar. Where I live, the city of Overland Park takes a dim view of anyone operating an unlicenced maage business out of their home. Plus, all of her Thai friends tell her not to do it. I'll try the local grocery newpapers. she may be interested in teaching cooking. We had a party for the eldest daughter's high school graduation and her spring rolls were enough of a hit that two people also recommended teaching Thai cooking.

Not to mention your exposure to liability in the land of lawsuits should somebody claim neck or back injury as a result of an "unlicensed practitioner" It could actually result in criminal charges which could affect her visa status.

In California, the massage practitioner needs a certificate from ANY recognized massage school (they seem to accept Thai certificates), and some sort of malpractice/liability insurance, which according to all the hippie flako massage practitioners I know, is cheap. The real problems come with local zoning ordinances, and other such bullshit.

Archived