Poll: Did you marry a bar girl?

SpiceMan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

she can get a job doing nails. I did put an ad on Craigslit for thai massage and got a reply in a few hours but not the kind of reply that I wanted so I canceled the ad. We have a 18 month old son, so I'm not pushing for a full time job but something that could pull in grocery money (for a family of 6) would be nice. In the meantime, she take english classes at night.

I read on TV about a year ago of one person that used his kids to get a marriage visa with no money requirment. He did have to hire an agency to get it done, as Thai official balked at doing it. By the time I move back to Thailand permanently, I can use social security to cover the 400,000 baht requirement (assuming the rules are not changed by then), so I'll probably go that route.

<< If you marry a Thai and have a kid, supposedly, you can get a visa to live in Thailand with no money in the bank. >>

That's news to me. I thought you still had to have 400,000 - or else she did.

As far as I know, this is correct. The 400K has to have been in the bank for what 3 months prior to the application? Something like that. You may recall Stickman and I discussing a guy we know who currently does not have it, and may be booted soon as a result.

she can get a job doing nails. I did put an ad on Craigslit for thai massage and got a reply in a few hours but not the kind of reply that I wanted so I canceled the ad. We have a 18 month old son, so I'm not pushing for a full time job but something that could pull in grocery money (for a family of 6) would be nice. In the meantime, she take english classes at night.

Not sure where you live, but go to the local fruity hippie health food store (if you have one, like Whole foods or something) and put an add on the bulletin board they always have there. Have her prices lower than the others, and or give more time. SOme of these places have "Chair massage" and she could start there...or she could try starting a business of chair massage in such a place. Then build from there by passing out cards.

You can also just start with "massage for women only." Once she builds up a clientele of women, she can start to offer massage to their husbands and other recommended patrons...word of mouth is the best advertising, and she can fly under the radar on home business regulations and or taxes.

If she did massage, it would have to be under the radar. Where I live, the city of Overland Park takes a dim view of anyone operating an unlicenced maage business out of their home. Plus, all of her Thai friends tell her not to do it. I'll try the local grocery newpapers. she may be interested in teaching cooking. We had a party for the eldest daughter's high school graduation and her spring rolls were enough of a hit that two people also recommended teaching Thai cooking.

Yes, keep a very quiet operation. I would suggest not to involve any other Thais...as Thais might get jealous and talk to the "wrong" people just to make trouble, YMMV.

Check on how other "business" handle the "donations" for a service at a "home business".

The cooking may be a great idea, organize a floating cooking class offered at various homes around the city, sort of like the Tuppaware party thing :dunno:

Archived