Airport scam? Beware King Power Duty free shop

tartempion

Personally I cannot imagine that King Power as such is involved in the scam but it should be time to talk to their employees or police on higher level .

Without knowing more, that is also my take on things. The press reports say this happened 150+ times.

If this was a U.S. or Europeon owned company, there would have been an internal investigation after the first few cases happened or claims were made. Here, all too often, a blind eye is turned towards these sorts of scams.

Can't say for certain that is what happended at King's Power, but it sure looks that way. Even their response to the alleged extortion seems like an exercise in misdirection.

In any event, I am not all that sympathetic if they lose a bit of face or business.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...The press reports say this happened 150+ times..."

This is sort of where I lose it...ok, it happened that many times, in what time frame? and this is the first time we heard of it? KP was able to provide a video...what about the other times? The whole thing just doesn't add up.

Personally I cannot imagine that King Power as such is involved in the scam but it should be time to talk to their employees or police on higher level .

Without knowing more, that is also my take on things. The press reports say this happened 150+ times.

If this was a U.S. or Europeon owned company, there would have been an internal investigation after the first few cases happened or claims were made. Here, all too often, a blind eye is turned towards these sorts of scams.

Can't say for certain that is what happended at King's Power, but it sure looks that way. Even their response to the alleged extortion seems like an exercise in misdirection.

In any event, I am not all that sympathetic if they lose a bit of face or business.

People love picking on Thias........ maybe some Thais will start cleaning up thei act. Sure times are tough, but it doesn't justify scamming.

"...The press reports say this happened 150+ times..."

Actually the number wasn't really confirmed. Dean Barret has put the number on his website and it came directly from the interpreter (who has vanished) invovled in the scam. As far as I know there isn't a second source who confirms the number.

But there were some internet reports that the scam was mainly aimed at Asians, who wouldn't report the scams to their authorities/media. Maybe the scammers got too greedy when they aimed at Western travellers?

Wasn't the woman in the last case Asian? or Asian looking? could have been where they fucked up, failure to realize she wasn't "a full on keep her mouth shut so as not to lose face Asian..."

Thanks for clearing up the numbers report...but if it has gone on this long, you'd think some of these people might be coming out of the wood work now...but who knows...?

Archived