Airport scam? Beware King Power Duty free shop

tartempion

Sounds like quite the developed scam. Pre-planned targets.

I have been hearing about this scam in my office for at least a year, but no one ever put any numbers on it. I don't this was freak incident, and neither does the BBC, The London Times or the Bangkok Post or any other media source that has posted on it.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to be a downer or expell unnecessary negativism towards our beloved Swampy.....but we all know that from the very beginning this multi-mega-corprate-govt. project has had intergal criminal and corrupt elements running through it like a bad case of cholera. If the brotherhood of clean government really wants to clean it up, then they need to enact a full sweep of such shenanigans from scallywags in all circles....the graft underground will always surpass the nice little surface notions of rhetoric.

OH, the woman involved was a British passport holder as far as I'm aware but certainly appeared to be of Asian descent/parentage. I can't remember was it her or her English husband/partner that they arrested first?

Simie.

This is where I am at here, I am suggesting perhaps those running the scam, saw the woman and thought "we have another Asian to work" not realizing she was in fact a British passport holder...That said, I still say the tape has her looking a bit guilty...

OH' date=' the woman involved was a British passport holder as far as I'm aware but certainly appeared to be of Asian descent/parentage. I can't remember was it her or her English husband/partner that they arrested first?

Simie. [/quote']

This is where I am at here, I am suggesting perhaps those running the scam, saw the woman and thought "we have another Asian to work" not realizing she was in fact a British passport holder...That said, I still say the tape has her looking a bit guilty...

Shit old Hippie, I can produce a tape, with a time stamp, showing you putting padded bras down the front of your pants.

Seriously, any tape produced by Thais I would question.

OH' date=' the woman involved was a British passport holder as far as I'm aware but certainly appeared to be of Asian descent/parentage. I can't remember was it her or her English husband/partner that they arrested first?

Simie. [/quote']

Yup, this makes sense completely, especially since KP pointed out that the couple sat on different tables after leaving the shop. I wondered why KP noted this fact in its report, but now I understand: The scammers thought to have caught a single Asian female, but learnt soon that she was married to a Westerner and carried a Western passport.

Bad luck for the scammers, because of this the scam was exposed internationally.

There is a report in the "Spectrum" section of today's Bangkok Post about this. Maybe someone here can provide the link, but here is one interesting excerpt from the article:

"Official records show a sharp rise in in criminal offences at the airport, expecially those involving shoplifting..." No idea on the numbers, but a sharp rise that cannot be otherwise be explained is suspicious.

Certainly more suspicious than any low resolution and inconclusive video KP posts on the interent.

The case involving this British couple is definitely not the only case involving scam allegations. Indeed, the article in The Times never really was about a shop lifting arrest at the airport. Hence, the posts arguing about what the video does or does not show are sort of besides the point.

The story here is about what appears to be an on-going scam between (a) private personnel operating in the so-called "secure" area of Suvarnabhumi and (B) officials. That is what is alarming.

This is what makes it news, and this is why it is so damaging. This is not only concerns tourists, but also security officials in other countries.

You know this has to set off alarm bells in other countries. If there is this sort of scam going on in the airport, what else is going on? Recall the airport takeover late last years and feeble ("pretend") efforts to restore order. Can we trust the security procedures at Suvarnabhumi? What sort of precautionary measures should we take? If we know about this, and we don't take precautions, and something major happens, everyone will be asking these same questions and asking them of us.

You know these and other questios must be going through the minds of security officials at the various embassies in Bangkok and the airlines that use this airport.

Bangkok Post, Airport Extortion Info Aug 2009

With the worldwide publicity, victims of Thai Police extortion are putting their stories on the web.

Hundreds of victims are reporting similar stories.

Thousand and thousands more are certainly out there.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/inve...t-suvarnabhumi

"The officer in charge of the bail procedure demanded she pay 250,000 baht (with no chance to bargain the price down because the money had to be paid to several people). She finally paid part of the money demanded before transferring the rest to the officer's account the next day. After the payment, the officer then proceeded with the case, which went to court, where she was fined 4,000 baht. She then returned to the airport and was allowed to fly home."

"One case at the airport involved a Western couple, with the husband accused of stealing a mobile phone and some make-up from a cleaner's bag.

But instead of expediting the case, the police detained the man for the maximum period allowed under the criminal code - 84 days.

The police told me they were waiting for proof of the evidence. So, I asked what the problem was, and they said the brakes had been put on the case, and to remove them would cost 30,000 baht," said the lawyer.

However, the money was not paid and at the end of the detention period the case went to court, where the man was granted probation after he confessed."

"Money was paid in the case involving a visiting couple who were arrested in the Thong Lor area for overstaying their visas earlier this year, the lawyer said.

After being arrested, and about to be taken to the police station, the couple tried to contact their embassy for help. Meanwhile, "negotiations for their release" were being conducted, and eventually the couple had to pay the police 10,000 baht in exchange of their freedom before reaching the police station, the lawyer said.

You will see that such practices don't only take place at the airport, but anywhere in this country," said the lawyer. "It seems minor compared to major corruption cases, but if it doesn't adhere to the course of justice, justice will never be delivered as those committing crimes will never get punished," said the lawyer."

TOURIST POLICE WARN OF ENTRAPMENT

The tourist police officer also explained that sometimes the goods involved have very little value, and added that tourists should be aware of scammers and avoid touching goods to avoid being entrapped."

Archived