Airport scam? Beware King Power Duty free shop

tartempion

And the response from the Thai government is...........................

We have the TAT response (quoted from an article above): It is NOT a Thai problem!

“I have asked the TAT office in London, as well as the PR office here in Bangkok to provide a full report. Whether it is true, or not, we cannot say, as [color:red]it comes from the UK media and not from Thailand[/color],†she said.

:surprised:

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since up to a couple of hundred or so have been caught and extorted (according to the reports), there must be some who couldn't come up with the money. So if they are detained in a jail somewhere awaiting trial, what do the cops put on the paperwork? At the eventual court case the scam and attempted extortion would be exposed so I can't see the cops putting in any paperwork as would have the copper's ID. If the victims aren't allowed to contact their embassies or anyone else, do they just end up in jail and forgotten about? No paperwork and not allowed to contact anyone so nobody knows they are there and they become missing persons.

Maybe embassies should check their missing persons lists and the find out if any are in jail.

Since up to a couple of hundred or so have been caught and extorted (according to the reports), there must be some who couldn't come up with the money. So if they are detained in a jail somewhere awaiting trial, what do the cops put on the paperwork? At the eventual court case the scam and attempted extortion would be exposed so I can't see the cops putting in any paperwork as would have the copper's ID. If the victims aren't allowed to contact their embassies or anyone else, do they just end up in jail and forgotten about? No paperwork and not allowed to contact anyone so nobody knows they are there and they become missing persons.

Maybe embassies should check their missing persons lists and the find out if any are in jail.

Sounds like some good points!

It is NOT a Thai problem!

“I have asked the TAT office in London, as well as the PR office here in Bangkok to provide a full report. Whether it is true, or not, we cannot say, as it comes from the UK media and not from Thailand,†she said.

Unfortunately for her it has become a Thai problem. It took nearly a month after the article appeared in The Times about a scam, which had been going on for months before even the article in The Times, but the local press has finally picked up on the story. Indeed, at least one local columnist commented on the very low level of local coverage: "Local news coverage, public outrage and government concern over the alleged "zigzag" scam at Suvarnabhumi airport have been at a minimum."

Unlike some here, however, he also understood what the story is really about. It's not about whether this couple did or did not shoplift or arguing about what a sketchy video does or does not show; its about recurring extortion scams in Thailand: Even if it is true - and surely in several cases it is - that certain tourists shoplift from King Power duty free shops, that doesn't make right the consequent scam and extortion. This isn't the first and won't be the last zigzag scam.

Today's editorial in the Bangkok Post "In far too many instances and for far too long police have been accused and in some instances found guilty of setting up innocent people, taking them into custody and charging them with a crime, with the sole motive of trading the freedom of the bewildered victims for a profit".

Better late than never, I guess.

I really wonder how King Power can survive at the airport.

I personally have boycotted buying from their Duty Free store and have told all my guests/visitors to do the same.

Before you would see people / customers in the stores, but now I only see their workers (and some or many of them are very cute!).

It has to be hitting them hard - and it is not jus the recession that is keeping buyers away.

Cheers!

Archived