Airport scam? Beware King Power Duty free shop

tartempion

How come y'all never complain about street vendors? They do the same thing. Recently a guy was walking around with some overly powerful (dangerous, in fact) laser pointers. He wanted B2k. We negotiated. I paid B600.

Do I think the guy a scammer? Not at all (but he would be by your definition). He is just a businessman trying to get the best price for his product. And I had some idea of what his product was worth to me at that given time. Did I over pay or under pay? No idea, but I am happy with my purchase, and he was happy to sell it to me at that price (otherwise he would not have done so). Free enterprise. American way. And all that.

Cheers,

SD

Again you are completely ingnoring the confidence part. To offer something overprized usually leads to bancruptcy, but in the gem scam case, tourist are tricked into buying this stuff.

And yes, those people are stupid and

no, they don't deserve it.

There is reason why other countries have a lot of rules for (gem) retailers and I guess 90% of those who buy jewels know nothing how to appraise the qualitiy of gem, but they know that they get real value when buying it. And this trust in the legitimity of (gem) retailers is the base of the BKK gem scam. In most other tourist destination the authorities would destroy the businesses of scammers, for to secure the gem market and the image of a save tourist destination.

In the end those scams cost the economy of LOS much more than the money being earned by the scammers.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HOW are they tricked? Cuz someone says that they can sell them for more? Then they are just stupid.

If someone bought one of the laser pointers for B2k, would he be "tricked" or just a poor negotiator? And would it matter if he were happy with what he bought, going back to my point of they were happy when they bought, but not happy when they wanted to sell.

No difference at all.

Another one. I buy a brand new car from a dealer. I pay €30k. The next week, I decide I want to sell it but no one will give me more than €23k. Have I been scammed? NO.

Cheers,

SD

I have been living in Thailand now for 10years traveling through the old and new airports every other month and havent had no trouble what so ever...even come through imigration many times completly pissed after a heavy session on the planes (in fact its nearly every trip now...lol) but seriously i havent had no problems..yeah ok taxi/limo vendors ..hell you have that at nearly every international airport.

Tourist mafias ( Flicker Pictures)....lol what a joke look at london, paris, new york, there everywhere hell fire whats up with people talk about scare moungering, just DONT GO NEAR THEM simple!!!!!

Tourist police. All i have to say is READ THE SIGNS DO NOT DROP CIG BUTTS. Simple!!!!!!

HOW are they tricked? Cuz someone says that they can sell them for more? Then they are just stupid.

If someone bought one of the laser pointers for B2k, would he be "tricked" or just a poor negotiator? And would it matter if he were happy with what he bought, going back to my point of they were happy when they bought, but not happy when they wanted to sell.

No difference at all.

Another one. I buy a brand new car from a dealer. I pay €30k. The next week, I decide I want to sell it but no one will give me more than €23k. Have I been scammed? NO.

Cheers,

SD

I guess it is fruitless to discuss the matter with you:

First someone tells visitors (often in an official looking uniform, like of an offical guard) that a temple is closed - first lie.

Second they will be transported to another temple, where they are going to meet another person(s), just by chance, who tell them about the great sales - second lie.

They will be transported to the gem shop where the tourists will be presented low quality stuff - third lie.

Any are trying to tell me that is a common sales practice in Asia or in the West??

You're right. Futile to discuss any more as we totally disagree as to the level of responsibility. Buyer is 90% responsible IMHO. The theory (and legal stand) of "caveat emptor" has been around since the early Greek days. How much more need be said...

Well, lots... It may be okay in your book to part a fool and his money, but believe it or not, progress has been made since the greeks. It's called consumer rights , you should read up on it, since you seem completely ignorant on the subject. Even Thailand has a law on the subject. It's a piece of shit thrown together in not more than 5 minutes, probably not even enforced, but nevertheless... It's there.

But I am 100% sure that it does not cover paying too much for a product as described...

Did the consumers get their rubies & emeralds? Yes, as described. Could they sell them for more than they paid for them? NO.

That's the issue here, plain and simple.

Any of y'all want to change my mind? Show me proof that someone got glass instead of semi-precious stones. Show me that they got something that was not on the cert provided by the shops. Legal case docs are fine. Then, and ONLY then, will I agree that it is a scam.

Otherwise, save your breath.

Cheers,

SD

But I am 100% sure that it does not cover paying too much for a product as described...

Did the consumers get their rubies & emeralds? Yes, as described. Could they sell them for more than they paid for them? NO.

That's the issue here, plain and simple.

Any of y'all want to change my mind? Show me proof that someone got glass instead of semi-precious stones. Show me that they got something that was not on the cert provided by the shops. Legal case docs are fine. Then, and ONLY then, will I agree that it is a scam.

Otherwise, save your breath.

Cheers,

SD

SD,

The issue is a little more complicated than that. Even if you get the rubies and they match up with the certificate, that doesn't make the deal legal. The problem lies in the false claims these people make with regards to the resale value, or the fact that these gems are sold by "the government." And let's not forget about the 100% refund that will never happen.

Off course none of that will be printed on paper. These a-holes are too smart for that. Nevertheless, it is a false statement and therefor in direct violation of the thai consumer protection act. And that makes it illegal. Just read section 22...

Archived