Airport scam? Beware King Power Duty free shop

tartempion

Sorry I find that excuse "They should have known better" very republican / John Howard.

Laws exist to protect innocent and stoopid alike. Plenty of people travel in asia have no idea - they learn - but they shouldn't be scammed.

I guess it was ok then for G W Bush to steal the election coz we should have known better?

Strong only should win?

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apples & oranges -- the public did not have a part to play in the stealing of the election (unlike buying overpriced gems thinking they are getting the best of the seller). Like legislating morality, you cannot legislate brains either.

Disagree? Where's my $5,000 then? You can trust me to send the 100M :grinyes: 555555555555555

We've *all* made mistakes and paid too much for shit. But most of us also realize that it was 99% our own fault and chalked the cost to the "high price of the education of life." Only the dishonest try to blame others, and only the most Pollyanna-ish believe that everyone is 100% honest & trustworthy (and while that's sweet, they need to learn to watch out for themselves).

Cheers,

SD

Telling people that the value is far higher than it really is, is that not scamming? You can argue as much as you like that the scammed part deserved it, should have known better etc. But it is still a scam. Nothing wrong on the sellers behalf to try to get as high price as possible, but when he starts to lie, then he definitly is scamming.

The sales staff's most important task is to answer queestions from customers. In your world it is perfectly all right for staff to answer anything they feel fit. Or maybe you think that if they only lie a little, it is not ok, as then the customer is not that stupid/greedy to believe it?

If I state some blatant lies about you here on this forum appealing to people's greed, it is ok, as people really should have known better? Lieing about an item's value is apparantly ok, so what lies are not ok?

Paillote

Obviously a lot of folks have the victim mentality. Par for the course nowadays I suppose. It's always someone else's fault innit?

Look, something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Nothing more nor nothing less. So those who were "scammed" thought that those trinkets were worth it *to them* at the time of purchase. If it is not worth it to someone else, then so what? (just as a 90 min session at Eden is not worth it to me -- I've turned down freebies there -- but is to many others)

Just like a guy saying a girl is a beauty. many times I just grin and say "Ya, she sure is" when inside, I'm saying "bow wow wow." She's beautiful to him and that's all that should matter (hence I keep my opinion to myself).

Those who thought those goods were worth it when they bought them were happy. Why are they sad later? Because they had an alternative agenda (i.e., sell the items they "bought cheaply" at a profit). If they were just going to keep the items, they'd be happy. Since not, then som nam na, they turned a personal purchase into a business move and failed to do the due diligence.

Cheers,

SD

How come y'all never complain about street vendors? They do the same thing. Recently a guy was walking around with some overly powerful (dangerous, in fact) laser pointers. He wanted B2k. We negotiated. I paid B600.

Do I think the guy a scammer? Not at all (but he would be by your definition). He is just a businessman trying to get the best price for his product. And I had some idea of what his product was worth to me at that given time. Did I over pay or under pay? No idea, but I am happy with my purchase, and he was happy to sell it to me at that price (otherwise he would not have done so). Free enterprise. American way. And all that.

Cheers,

SD

But the "Thai gem scam" is not that. No one complains about poor quality stones; they complain they paid to much for them (semi-precious stones are of limited value, hence the name, eh?). The shops offer legitimate stones, with certs, but at a very high market price. The pitch is that the price is low, it is a special, that the customer can sell them when they get home, etc.

Cheers,

SD

but I am happy with my purchase, and he was happy to sell it to me at that price (otherwise he would not have done so). Free enterprise. American way. And all that.

:yeahthat:

That is valid for all business everywhere.

Same same for the English teachers taking a paycut to teach in LOS just to be there....

BB

Archived