Airport scam? Beware King Power Duty free shop

tartempion

Who would ever think there are hundreds of fake friendly Thais positioned all over town every morning with the intent of defrauding visitors. Many of them off duty cops.

Here is what is going on at Thailand main tourist attraction.

The Thai Kings Palace is ground zero for Thai scammers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29324583@N05/sets/72157616768273247/detail/

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Selling some one the Eiffel Tower is a scam or bunko' date=' con, flim flam, gaffle, grift, hustle, scam, scheme, or swindle. Selling someone gems that they have no idea what are worth and taking the sellers word for it is not a scam. It's ignorance.

TH

[/quote']

Of course it is. It is per defintionem a typical "confidence trick"

See gem scam

Except of course you have your personal definition of scams which excludes lack of knowledge, greed, naivité, e.g.. And if you leave out the fact that the tourist did not simply walked into a gem store and being overcharged, but that there are mostly several people involved to lure the tourist into the stores using deceit and lies.

With your narrow idea of scams there aren't no scams in Bangkok...

:content:

So you think every time some one buys something without knowing the value first it's a scam? Your definition just seems like a way to shift responsibility for a bad decision to somebody else. Afterall, the gem buyers have the gems and they are real.

There are lots of scams in Thailand; the subject of this thread is certainly one.

The gem scam exists due to a shortcoming in human nature......GREED

Most scams are based on promising unsuspecting victims to receive something very cheap. Like the time share scams which existed(still exist?) in Europe as well. The difference to LOS is, that in most other destinations police and media are fighting against those kind of scams, while in LOS the police is earning from the scams as well.

Anyway, the report in a major English newspaper is another small piece of bad news from LOS.

Actually, I can't remember when I read something positive about LOS in Western media - constant dropping wears the stone...

Bargains can't be bought? Rather short sighthed of you Bust and heartless.

If it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is.

Are there deals to be had? Sure. But are *you* gonna trust some schmo whom you meet on the street to sell you something you know nothing about at below market value? Why you, a stranger? Why not his pals or a wholesaler?

If you send me $5000, I'll transfer $100,000,000 into your account. Sounds stupid doesn't it? But it is *exactly* the same thing.

It seems common sense, but I guess not -- if you cannot vet the seller, the product and the price, then pass. If there is no time to do so, then pass. 99,999,999 times out of 100,000,000 you'll be doing the sensible thing.

But greed is a huge driver and as a rule, people are idiots...I won't say they get what they deserve, cuz that'll make people angry.

But they do.

Cheers,

SD

Archived