Will 'The Galt' go to jail?

Central Scrutinizer

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy does seem off, but six years...?

I see a real problem with laws that provide for criminal punishment for defamation or saying things you aren't supposed to say (and that includes the law we dare not discuss), particularly ones that allow private individuals to commence proceedings. Galt certainly came across poorly. Actually, I'd like to use stronger words to describe his posts, but since defamation is a criminal offense here...

The issue is more fundamental than the individual involved, and that creates problems. A criticism of these sorts of laws is not an endorsement of those who violate them. But because the two are often confused with each other, criticizing these sorts of laws often gets distorted into an endorsement of those who violate them, which is unfortunate because those who do violate these laws are often not particularly sympathetic characters.

I wonder if they will simply deport the guy? Having a foreigner serving a six year prison term for defaming a property developer (even if the property developer is right) doesn't look good. Isn't there another criminal defamation suit now involving a guy who bought into a high end (hundred million plus Baht) condo that has not yet been completed? If people go to jail for complaining about this sort of stuff, even if they go overboard, well...I see bigger problems for Thailand.

Sounds like the life of a Bangkok internet "celebrity" is not all beer and peanuts. People receiving death threats, court action, slander, rumour. Sound like a bunch of nasty vindictive individuals. I wonder how long before they take it to the next level and they start putting contracts on each other?

Must be some good money at stake for them to take it this seriously.

In pre-internet days, Trink used to do restaurant reviews as "Friar Tuck". He stopped after an influential restaurant owner got pissed off by a less than glowing review and tried to get Trink fired. Apparently, ending Friar Tuck was a compromise to save Trink his job. The same mentality was around back then.

Guy was a mildly interesting diversion on a cold night.

I know nothing about nothing, but most of his figures/conjecture were hard to believe.

My perception was that he loaned from a library

"Internet sensationalism 101" with abridged Marketing Notes.

Logged on 3wks ago to the "..but wait there's more" & promptly forgot about it. Yawn again, begin again.

Sounds like the life of a Bangkok internet "celebrity" is not all beer and peanuts. People receiving death threats' date=' court action, slander, rumour. Sound like a bunch of nasty vindictive individuals. I wonder how long before they take it to the next level and they start putting contracts on each other?

Must be some good money at stake for them to take it this seriously. [/quote']

In pre-internet days, Trink used to do restaurant reviews as "Friar Tuck". He stopped after an influential restaurant owner got pissed off by a less than glowing review and tried to get Trink fired. Apparently, ending Friar Tuck was a compromise to save Trink his job. The same mentality was around back then.

Kind of a big fish, small pond syndrome. BKK might be a big city but the Farang sector way too small for those individuals who want to be celebs. Seems being important is very overated.

To be fair about this, Dave posted information provided by Stick and his friends which is why Gualt posted details on Stick. Stick’s real name and occupation was not exactly a secret and he was extremely reckless for holding that job and also running the site at the same time.

The ensuing comments on MangoSause, led by WYD and others, included several death threats against Gault. They tried to get him deported, using their relationships to “highly placed immigration authoritiesâ€Â. They posted a thread about Gault coming to Thailand on an organized “Sex tourism†group. They also accused him of being a pedophile and posted information on an alleged arrest that later proved to be untrue.

Prior to it getting nasty, all Gualt did was point out how Stick was taking money for mentioning certain establishments and not disclosing what he was doing. I never understood why some people took it all so personal, it was like someone had attacked their god or something.

Boy, those were the days, weren’t they?

:boxing:

TH

IMHO the story consists two parts:

- First part: Someone exposed Galt on the net and Galt exposed Stick (I remember the ugly accusations against Galt on Mangosauce and Galt trying to get Stick fired from his job). I don't know who started the whole mess and who is/was wrong or right, but it seems that both sides didn't play very nice.

- Second part: Instead of just letting it go, after both sides had damaged each other, Galt started his own website for a private Jihad against Stick and other unrelated persons. IMHO that's when he lost it and now he reaps the fruit of his (destructive) labor. I guess his self-righteousness made him forget that he isn't living in a Western country.

Archived