Global Warming - Do you believe it ?

chelseafan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like some of you I don't know what to believe. I'm also loathe to do the research. Too damn lazy.

However, I do have some views, as uninformed as they are.

First, this carbon tax thingy. I personally think our governments are desparate for new revenue streams and hopes this is something that will be accepted by the masses as necessary for their own good.

Second, lets say global warming caused by man (via fossil fuels) was proven without question. Does anyone think the oil companies and related industries would accept it? You'd see the oil company version of tobacco where they would go kicking and screaming.

Third. I fear the kooks on the far left that want us to pretty much go back to stone age. I don't mind recycling, cutting back this and that but I fear the slippery slope and pendulum swing to the extreme factions that want us to live stone age without the meat (go veggie types will be in there as well).

Fourth. I want us off an oil based economy but I want it for geopolitical reasons. I've posted on other threads that we can move to a non oil based economy that would actually create new jobs. Just like when we moved from horse and buggy to train to car to plane. The biggest stocks on Wall Street in the late 1800s were train company stocks. We can transition to a new economy, orderly, if we do it right (which I doubt). Anyway, doing so would completely neutralize the mid east. It would take away Iran and the Saudi's wealth. Doing so would remove a lot of the global terrorism and islamic fundamental threat.

I've had this 'debate' with a few naysayers before, and I see its being similar to Y2K - after the fact, everyone was happy to say 'see - I told you there wouldnt be a problem !' : unfortunately, that only came about after ten years of remediation in everything from the ancient code that keeps our banks running to the firmware running a bazillion devices. Did we spend too much ? Absolutely. Could we have fixed it *after* Dec 31, 1999 ? I very much doubt it.

Y2K would have had a devastating impact on our digital world, but that would have been a day in the park compared to the predictions being bandied about if we don't address our contribution to global warming. For all the billions wiped from various balance sheets in the last 2 years, life has gone on - I very much doubt that future generations will judge us harshly for throwing trillions more at global warming.

India may well take the stance of 'screw you, we are going to continue building coal power stations !', but the Chinese are finally realising that cities like Shanghai, Shenzhen and Beijing simply wont be able to support life if they continue at their current rate. Given the interest on the money they have loaned various Western governments in recent times, I expect that they will be in a position to invest in a mountain of new and highly profitable alternative technologies. We dont have any solar billionaires in Oz, even if we did help educate one :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2008/jul/25/solarpower.alternativeenergy

I am sipping on my GT (gin & tonic), full glass with ice cubes, as the ice melts (global warming), my drink does NOT over flow...so much for the ice melting and flooding out the world (and I am NOT sipping on the drink)!

ClimateGate: Global warming looking more like a hoax

http://www.infowars.com/climategate-global-warming-looking-more-like-a-hoax/

“The East Anglia Climatic Unit that supplies global warming data to the U.N., has been implicated in scientific fraud with: data manipulation, deletions and fabrication,†says Donald Reinhardt, a Scientific Inquiry feature writer.

You can read all the unit’s hacked e-mails, which were posted Nov. 29 on a Russian server at HarryReidMe.com. These e-mails have since been verified by The New York Times. Amazing!

Yet the energy cap-and-trade bill is still sitting around in Congress. This bill that could cost us more than $100 trillion. It’s astonishing how we have bypassed “billions†and went right into “trillions†with hardly a blink. In a few years, it will be “zillions†of dollars and we’ll wonder how we got there...

Archived