Airline passengers see tighter security

cavanami

Steve: I think 3 hours in customs would dissuade me from traveling altogether.

This thread reminds me of the time that kook shot up the El Al ticket counter at LAX some years back. My wife was doing administrative work in the upstairs offices and came down to the SQ ticket counter only to meet an inbound flight attendant who had duty-free cigarettes for me. She was standing right next to that moron when he opened fire.

When she returned home from work, she threw the cartons of Marlboros down and said, "You nearly got me killed today!" :eek:

Wow USVirgin!! Crazy story!!

I don't want a 3 hour wait either. We don't need to. Israel does for obvious reasons. They are experts though so we should look closely at them and other similar airport security people with a long history and experience in thwartng terrorism and learn from them. Makes sense.

I hear we are now gonna stop people from going anywhere an hour till the plane lands. Another knee jerk reaction that makes no sense whatsoever. So, if I'm a terrorist I detonate it prior to an hour.

We need someone with the balls to say that kind of stuff. The problem is the opposition party will always cry that you are neglectful of public safety. That's why I think the administration should go the Republicans ahead of time and agree that we are wasting time and money on public displays of security. About time BOTH parties put aside differences for what makes sense. Too much of an ask of either though. Sad but true.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve: I think 3 hours in customs would dissuade me from traveling altogether.

This thread reminds me of the time that kook shot up the El Al ticket counter at LAX some years back. My wife was doing administrative work in the upstairs offices and came down to the SQ ticket counter only to meet an inbound flight attendant who had duty-free cigarettes for me. She was standing right next to that moron when he opened fire.

When she returned home from work, she threw the cartons of Marlboros down and said, "You nearly got me killed today!" :eek:

Nasty experience!

Waiting in line for 3 hours will not [color:red]'fix'[/color] what happened over Christmas. Obviously, several people and systems were sound asleep.

[color:red]'Terrorizing'[/color] the general public for the incompetency of Government employees will not fix things.

It seems things are not much different then they were on September 11, 2001 when 19 'terrorist' 'hijacked' 4 planes and used 2 of them to take down the twin towers of the world trade Center. [color:red]Obviously that system being used was just as defective as the one being used today and seems to be in the controls of the same morons.[/color]

All 911 did was create a whole new layer of bureaucracy called the TSA. The sharing of information amongst agencies is always a good thing. For too long they were all more concerned about their own fiefdoms than the public good at times.

Different law enforcement agencies wouldn't share info. Especialy the feds. At times in NYC, the NYPD and the FBI were BOTH watching the same mafia people with their own informants in place and the NY district attorney and the FBI prosecutors would fight over who gets to try the case. Many of it for public consumption to launch a political career (Guiliani and the guy that got caught banging some girl who preached moral high ground, his name escapes me).

We don't need 3 hour waits. Lets not keep wasting time and money on public displays of security.

Shared intel on people, technology and good ol' fashion expert eyes on people would suffice in almost all cases.

I got the Dragnet treatment years ago from a customs guy in Seattle.

CG: "Where'd you hide the stuff in the bag?"

Me: "What stuff?"

CG: "You know what stuff."

Me: "No, I don't. What stuff?"

CG: "Don't get smart with me."

Me: "Who's getting smart with whom?"

etc etc etc for about 10 minutes ...

The doufas finally gave up and waved me on. I supposed the bunghole was seeing how I'd react to his game.

Kind of pissed me off, since I was a combat vet and a returning Peace Corps vol ... and who the hell was this idiot? He looked like the type the Army would have automatically made a cook (i.e. low IQ). I was the only person I saw him try this crap with. :onfire:

Archived